Subject: [CCAMP] New Liaison Statement, "LS86 - Comments on WSON Impairment Work in CCAMP"

From: Greg Jones(ITU-T SG 15) <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

Title: LS86 - Comments on WSON Impairment Work in CCAMP
Submission Date: 2009-10-27
URL of the IETF Web page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/liaison_detail.cgi?detail_id=603 
Please reply by 2010-05-31

From: Greg Jones(ITU-T SG 15) <[email-masked]>
To: IETF ccamp Working Group([email-masked],[email-masked])
Cc: [email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
Reponse Contact: [email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
Technical Contact: [email-masked]
Purpose: For comment 
Body: 
Attachment(s):
     LS86 - Comments on WSON Impairment Work in CCAMP - pdf (https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file719.pdf)

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:03:29 -0700

Hi folks, I just reviewed this liaison (LS-86) and had a few questions 
and thoughts (from a individual perspective not IETF, CCAMP...).
In section 3.1.1 of the WSON Impairments Framework draft we categorize 
the different types of impairment aware RWA computations. This section 
does not address "black links".

In section 3.1.2 we discuss impairment information sharing constraints. 
This section includes the information sharing constraints of a "black 
link". From our understanding of the "black link" concept, no impairment 
parameters would be available for the control plane to share with 
computational entities for the subnetwork. We did not take this to mean 
that the owner of the "black link" would not know whether a path across 
that link was viable, or that all paths across the black link are viable.

 From our understanding of "black links" it did not appear that every 
black link must be terminated by 3R regenerators as stated in the 
liaison: "“black link” is a viable pre engineered optical path between 
3R regenerators". We assumed that a black link could terminate on a 
receiver. Hence we took a more general view of a black link as an 
network element with unknown impairment properties whose impairment 
effects could be calculated by its owner (not the general control plane).

Best Regards

Greg B.

Greg Jones(ITU-T SG 15) wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> CCAMP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
>
>
>   

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:31:55 -0400

All,

Please note this email is outside of the ITU-IETF Liaison process and is
not a formal response from CCAMP. Please treat as such.

CCAMP,
The proper ITU-IETF Liaison procedure is to first discuss the response
within the Working Group and then for the Chairs to convey the Working
Group response. We welcome all input for responding to Liaisons. Please
direct input to the CCAMP list.

Deborah and Lou

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Bernstein [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 3:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS); [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] New Liaison Statement, "LS86 - Comments on WSON
Impairment Work in CCAMP"

parameters would be available for the control plane to share with 
computational entities for the subnetwork. We did not take this to mean 
that the owner of the "black link" would not know whether a path across 
that link was viable, or that all paths across the black link are
viable.

 From our understanding of "black links" it did not appear that every 
black link must be terminated by 3R regenerators as stated in the 
liaison: ""black link" is a viable pre engineered optical path between 
3R regenerators". We assumed that a black link could terminate on a 
receiver. Hence we took a more general view of a black link as an 
network element with unknown impairment properties whose impairment 
effects could be calculated by its owner (not the general control
plane).

Best Regards

Greg B.

Greg Jones(ITU-T SG 15) wrote:
> URL of the IETF Web page:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/liaison_detail.cgi?detail_id=603 
>      LS86 - Comments on WSON Impairment Work in CCAMP - pdf
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file719.pdf)