Subject: [CCAMP] Wavelength Conversion assumption for LSC interfaces...

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:25:04 -0700

Hi folks, as we've been preparing the first set of WSON documents for 
last call some questions have come up.
We specify the wavelength conversion capabilities via potentially three 
sub-TLVs:
    (a) Wavelength Converter Accessibility sub-TLV   (tell which ingress 
ports can reach which converters, and which converters can reach which 
output ports)
    (b) Wavelength Conversion Range Sub-TLV (tells range limits on 
wavelength converters)
    (c) Wavelength Converter Usage State Sub-TLV (tells us if a 
particular converter is being used)

Now I was  assuming that to indicate wavelength conversion was available 
at a node then (a) above would have to be present. However this only 
works if the
default assumption for interfaces with ISCD = LSC (interface switching 
capability descriptor = lambda switch capable) is for "no wavelength 
conversion".
Is this the assumption folks have used in deployments (or was the 
original intent in RFC4202, at the time I was working more the TDM side).
If we can't make this assumption then we need to specify the wavelength 
conversion behavior explicitly for each  ROADM, OXC, etc...

Thanks ahead of time for your feedback

Greg

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237