Subject: [CCAMP] FYI-Call For Papers to IEEE Comm. Mag. OTN Feature Topic

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:25:11 -0500

FYI-

For those interested in OTN, IEEE Comm. Magazine has a call for papers
on OTN (deadline April 30). This will have primary emphasis on the data
plane:
http://dl.comsoc.org/ci1/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------

Call for Papers on the Feature Topic:
ITU-T Optical Transport Network (OTN) 
IEEE Communications Magazine
Background
In the late 1980s and 1990s, SONET/SDH became the global set of
standards for optical network communications. SONET/SDH technology
carries all types of communications services today, in under-sea cable
systems and terrestrial systems all around the work. However, OTN
technology, defined around the architecture in ITU-T G.872, is fast
becoming the technology of choice for today's optical networks. The OTN
standards define physical interfaces, signal framing, multiplexing of
client signals, equipment functions, performance monitoring, and network
management aspects. Network operators are deploying equipment compliant
to OTN standards in backbone, metro, and access networks for carrying
voice, video, and data of all sorts. This equipment consists of
traditional transmission systems, multiplexers, cross-connects,
switches, routers, and nearly every conceivable combination of them in
newer packet-optical equipment. As a result, practically every segment
of the IEEE Communications Magazine readership has some exposure to OTN
technologies. 
The first wave of OTN standards were developed in the late 1990s and
early 2000s. Given the timing of the initial OTN standards publications
(just at the collapse of the over-inflated Internet boom), deployment of
OTN based equipment was initially very slow. However, as more economical
solutions are developed to replace aging active systems, OTN deployments
are growing rapidly. Expanding utilization of OTN technologies is
creating greater demands for OTN functionality. To meet the demands for
greater packet transport efficiency and expected 40/100 Gb/s Ethernet
transport, OTN standards are being significantly enhanced at this time.
Revised ITU-T G.709 is leading the way with a significant revision
approved at the end of 2009. 
With the expanding deployment and enhanced standards for OTN
technologies, there is a great deal of new OTN related information that
should interest IEEE Communications Magazine readers. 
Scope of Contributions
This feature topic is intended to provide tutorial information and
original research articles to the Communications Magazine readers on OTN
standards, applications, and related issues associated with them. Papers
are solicited in, although not limited to, the following areas: 
*	OTN standards overview 
*	Recent OTN standards updates 
*	Future of OTN standards 
*	Network applications for OTN technology 
*	Value of OTN technology compared to other technologies 
Schedule for Submissions
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2010
Notification of Acceptance: June 11, 2010
Final Manuscript Due: July 1, 2010
Publication Date: September 2010 
For manuscript submission, the authors should follow the IEEE Magazine
guidelines under "information for Authors" at
http://dl.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/info/sub_guidelines.html. Manuscripts
must be submitted through the magazine's submissions Web site at:
http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/commag-ieee . Please select
"September2010/ITU-T OTN" in the drop down menu. 
Feature Topic Editors
For additional information about the Feature Topic, please contact the
Guest Editors listed below:
Mark Jones
[email-masked] 
Deborah Brungard
[email-masked] 
Huub van Helvoort
[email-masked] 
Winston Mok
[email-masked]