Subject: [CCAMP] Questions on draft-bellagamba-ccamp-rsvp-te-mpls-tp-oam-ext-04

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:43:35 -0800

Dear Authors,
the second paragraph of Introduction says that BFD can be used to "track
liveliness of MPLS-TP point-to-point and p2mp connections". I think that
unless multiple BFD sessions, one per each leaf, are being established BFD
cannot be used to monitor p2mp MPLS-TP connection. The main issue, as I see
it, being session demultiplexing based on end node discriminator. Unless BFD
changes so that ingress node can list multiple entities as Your
Discriminator, BFD will remain p2p mechanism.
The first paragraph of Section 3.1 says that both end nodes of BFD session
"should be in active mode". Is that "SHOULD"? I think that since the BFD
session is bootstrapped the ingress node SHOULD be in Passive mode and
egress node MUST be in Active mode.
Even more so. I think that MPLS-TP does not significantly benefit from BFD
session bootstrapping, OOB exchange of discriminators, because it was added
to LSP Ping to address ambiguity resulted from PHP, which is excluded from
MPLS-TP.

Regards,
Greg

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:02:32 -0000

Hi Greg,

draft-katz-ward-bfd-multipoint-02 invested some effort on P2MP BFD. The 
concepts are understood, but I think this timed out while the BFD WG 
invested time polishing the base BFD work (almost done now!).

Might be worth pinging the BFD WG to find out their plans.

Might be worth *this* I-D making a subtle change in language to say "and may 
be extended to P2MP..."

Cheers,
Adrian

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Greg Mirsky" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:43 PM
Subject: [CCAMP] Questions 
ondraft-bellagamba-ccamp-rsvp-te-mpls-tp-oam-ext-04

> to LSP Ping to address ambiguity resulted from PHP, which is excluded from

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> _______________________________________________
> CCAMP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
>

---

From: Elisa Bellagamba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:14:38 +0100

Adrian,

Thanks for a very useful comment and support. This change would work for me.

Greg,

Would it work for you too?

Elisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: den 11 februari 2010 17:03
To: Greg Mirsky; Elisa Bellagamba; Loa Andersson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Questions ondraft-bellagamba-ccamp-rsvp-te-mpls-tp-oam-ext-04

Hi Greg,

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:08:20 -0800

Elisa,
I totally agree with Adrian suggestion.

Adrian,
thank you for reminding about the BFD draft (I think I've missed it
altogether)."Friendly inquiry" to BFD will be extremely helpful.

Regards,
Greg

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Elisa Bellagamba <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Questions