Subject: [CDNi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-cdni-logging-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 04:47:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Content Delivery Networks Interconnection Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : CDNI Logging Interface
	Author(s)       : Francois Le Faucheur
                          Gilles Bertrand
                          Iuniana Oprescu
                          Roy Peterkofsky
	Filename        : draft-ietf-cdni-logging-05.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2013-07-12

Abstract:
   This memo specifies the Logging interface between a downstream CDN
   (dCDN) and an upstream CDN (uCDN) that are interconnected as per the
   CDN Interconnection (CDNI) framework.  First, it describes a
   reference model for CDNI logging.  Then, it specifies the CDNI
   Logging File format and the actual protocol for exchange of CDNI
   Logging Files.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-logging

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cdni-logging-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-cdni-logging-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Kevin J Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 05:18:35 -0400

Hi all,

  some comments on the logging draft:

section 2.1: "benefit form" -> "benefit from"

section 2.2.: "is obviously only indicative" -> "is obviously only an example"

section 2.2.5.1: wrt CDNI, are we saying that logging should enable
                 the uCDN to debug the performance issues in the dCDN?

section 3.3: in general, should occurance be more precise?  e.g.:
    UUID: "there MUST be one and only one instance of this directive."
          should specify "per CDNI Logging File"
    Fields: "The first instance of this directive for a given
             Record-Type MUST precede any CDNI Logging Record for this
             Record-Type."
            should specify before the next Fields directive.
            i.e., it is not required to group all the records for a
            given Fields directive into a single block in the log file?

section 3.3: for Verified-Origin, when would this be propogated?
             Is the use case a transit CDN forwarding a log verbatim
             from dCDN to uCDN?

section 3.3: for Integrity-Hash, it states that the hash is computed
             "by the entity that transmits the CDNI Logging File."
             though it is possible that the entity that generated the
             log file is not the same entity that (re)transmits it.
             does the integrity hash need to be recalculated?

section 3.3: the protocol, sc-status, and sc-total-bytes fields are
             all mandatory, and HTTP-specific.  In the case of
             non-HTTP delivery, are these fields just left blank?
             Or do we only support HTTP delivery (not that theres
             anything wrong with that)?

             sc-entity-bytes, cs(header), and sc(header) are also
             HTTP-specific, but not required,

section 3.3: the s-cached flag is for:
             "whether the Surrogate could serve the request using
              content already stored on its local cache" 
             Should it be fore whether the Surrogate "did serve the
             request from content already stored in its local cache"?

in section 3: "agreements) ." -> "agreements)."

thanx.

--  Kevin J. Ma

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 7:47 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [CDNi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-cdni-logging-05.txt
> 
> 
>  This draft is a work item of the Content Delivery Networks
> Interconnection Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> CDNi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cdni