Subject: [CDNi] logging non-repudiation proposed text v2

From: David Mandelberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:51:00 +0200

Here's the next version of my proposed text for non-repudiation of 
logging data.

-- 
David Eric Mandelberg / dseomn
http://david.mandelberg.org/

---

From: Kevin J Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 04:44:53 -0400

Hi David,

  I read through the text and had a couple of questions:

  - In section 2.3.1, wrt random numbers:

      "The key generation steps MUST be performed with a suitably random
       number generator." 

    Should there be a reference to RFC4086/BCP106 or some other
    document on strong random number generation for keys?

  - In section 2.3.1, wrt step 2 of the log file processing:

      "2. The originator includes the hash of the new public key, the
       entire current public key, and the hash of the log file in the
       NIL file. The originator then uses the current private key to
       sign the NIL file." 
   
    Might want to clarify the text to mention that other things are
    also included in the NIL file and the algorithm is described below
    in Section X, as, step 4 of the log file processing goes on to say:

      "The receiver verifies that the public key in the NIL file
       matches the next-key hash in the previous NIL file (or the
       initial hash if this is the first entry)"

    which was a little confusing, since it was not explicit in step 2
    that the hash of the public key and the signature are both also
    included in the NIL file.

    Should the receiver use the Non-Repudiation-Public-Key-Hash from
    the current NIL file to do the matching in step 4, or manually
    rehash Non-Repudiation-Public-Key and verify that it matches both
    the current NIL file Non-Repudiation-Public-Key-Hash and the
    previous NIL file Non-Repudiation-Next-Public-Key-Hash?

thanx.

--  Kevin J. Ma

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> David Mandelberg
> Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:51 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [CDNi] logging non-repudiation proposed text v2
>