Subject: [Cellar] Format Additions

From: Steve Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 08:37:15 +0200

As we progress with the specs, new ideas come up to improve EBML and Matroska.

For now we are supposed to formalized what exists in specs and then
move forward with new format additions. That means we should work on
EBML 1 and Matroska 1 to 4.

The proposed EBML extensions is one addition that's actually a big can
of worm because we need to take a lot of things in consideration, like
explaning how to define an extension externally (similar to defining a
DocType but maybe with some tweaks). IMO this should go in EBML 2.

Also we don't want to delay defining what currently exists to add a
new idea, however good it is.

The proposal for the next version of each format are marked with a tag
"format addition" for Matroska
https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-specification/labels/format%20addition
and EBML https://github.com/Matroska-Org/ebml-specification/labels/format%20addition
These links include both issues and PR.

-- 
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman

---

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 09:39:56 +0200

Steve Lhomme wrote:

>The proposed EBML extensions is one addition that's actually a
>big can of worm because we need to take a lot of things in
>consideration, like explaning how to define an extension
>externally (similar to defining a DocType but maybe with some
>tweaks). IMO this should go in EBML 2.

+1

>Also we don't want to delay defining what currently exists to
>add a new idea, however good it is.

+1

Thank you! Best regards, Reto