Subject: [Cellar] IRC channel again

From: Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 12:09:18 +0200

Hey,

yeah, we talked about the IRC channel on Tuesday and decided to postpone
the decision (or not to do anything at that point). Mostly people didn't
have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Over the last couple of days Freenode has cracked down on several hundred
channels, simply due to them having "libera.chat" in the topic. Not just on
channels that actually planned to move, but also on channels that were
simply thinking about moving or that did NOT in fact wanted to move and
told their users via their topic.

Cracking down means that a Freenode bot came in, renamed the channel,
removed rights from existing ops, changed the topic and basically archived
the channel. They're seizing control of channels they have nothing to do
with.

Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.gentoo.org/news/2021/05/26/gentoo-freenode-channels-hijacked.html
https://mastodon.sdf.org/@kline/106299403921451814
https://fridge.ubuntu.com/2021/05/26/announcing-ubuntus-move-to-libera-chat/

I find all of this highly offensive to a community of free/open source
projects.

Therefore I do have a strong opinion now: let's move our IRC to
libera.chat, please.

As all of you didn't have a strong opinion on Tuesday, I'll assume you're
OK with that move. Unless someone objects by Sunday, I'll implement the
move on Monday (closing the channel on Freenode, updating our web page).

Switching to other chat tools (XMPP/Jabber, Matrix…) is a totally different
topic I'm not trying to tackle at this point; moving IRC is easy enough to
implement and somewhat time sensitive due to recent events.

m.

---

From: Jerome Martinez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 12:21:25 +0200

On 28/05/2021 12:09, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> [...] but also on channels that were

Fun of basic automation :).

> Therefore I do have a strong opinion now: let's move our IRC to

I see no issue with that move, so +1.
Topic on freenode will have to be selected for not being caught by the 
stupid bot :).

Jérôme

---

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 13:19:05 +0200

>I see no issue with that move, so +1.

+1

Best regards, Reto

---

From: Steve Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 08:42:10 +0200

> move on Monday (closing the channel on Freenode, updating our web page).

I support the move. This has become ridiculous. AFAIK Videolan is also 
moving there.

> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar
>