Subject: [Cfrg] draft-thomas-w7cipher-03.txt

From: "Stephen Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:45:47 -0400

The -03 version of draft-thomas-w7cipher-03.txt has been submitted for
publication. It may take a few days for the draft to show up in the
usual places, but it is no different than the -02 version (other than
the dates). The previous draft was issued before the formation of the
Crypto Forum Research Group, so CFRG members may not be aware of its
existence.

The abstract:

   This document specifies the W7 cipher algorithm. The W7 algorithm is 
   a byte-wide, synchronous stream cipher optimized for efficient 
   hardware implementation at very high data rates. It is a symmetric 
   key algorithm supporting key lengths of 128 bits. In addition to the 
   algorithm specification, this document contains test vectors and a 
   representative software implementation in the C language.

The algorithm is in use today in IP-based optical transmission systems,
and multiple, genetically distinct implementations have sucessfully
interoperated.

In order to ensure an open, easily accessible specification for the
algorithm (in the tradition of MDx, RCx, CAST-x, MISTY, and others), the
authors would like the IESG to consider publishing the draft as an
Informational RFC.

The -01 version of the draft generated some discusion on the sci.crypt
newsgroup. With apologies for the long URL, here is the thread.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=22a0c2a31c1cc7b5&s
eekm=d3a9d3a6.0204190946.289da9a5%40posting.google.com#link1

The newsgroup discussion, as well as follow-on private emails, was very
helpful, and led to some minor changes in the -02 draft.

Wave7 Optics has an IPR statement related to W7 on file with the IETF.
It's available at http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/WAVE7-OPTICS.txt

If there is a CFRG meeting in Atlanta, I will be happy to participate in
any discussions regarding W7. (Wave7 Optics is headquartered in
Atlanta.) As someone checking the pedigrees of the draft authors will
note, though, I am very far from the crypto expert in the group. (That
honor would go to Drs. Bersen and Gong.)

Thanks for your attention,

Stephen
_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg