Subject: [Cfrg] Re: CWC mode

From: Alex Alten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:37:32 -0700

Paul,

And if the packets are arriving randomly from different senders?

- Alex

At 10:34 AM 6/4/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/cfrg/current/msg00235.html
>
>you write:
>
> > I've only had a chance to skim the I-D draft.  Just a quick question
> > about the hardware 10 Gbps performance.  For the receiver can this
> > be sustained if packets are dropped, corrupted or arrive out of
> > order?  If not, is it a bad hit requiring a resynchronization of
> > some sort?
>
>I read your question differently to the way Viega read it, so let me
>augment his answer.  In the most likely uses of CWC mode, each packet
>would carry its own nonce and be independently MACed and encrypted;
>there's no state to be maintained between packets, all you need is the
>key.  So it doesn't matter to the cipher at all which packets arrive
>or what order they arrive in.
>
>A corrupted packet will fail the integrity check and be discarded, of
>course, but that's the right behaviour.
>--
>   __  Paul Crowley
>\/ o\ [email-masked]
>/\__/ http://www.ciphergoth.org/

--

Alex Alten
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg