Subject: [Cfrg] Fwd: Cryptographic Hash Workshop - Call for Participation

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:55:56 -0400

Folks,

I believe this announcement will be of some interest to this
group...

NIST has just announced a Cryptographic Hash Workshop.  This
workshop will address a broad range of technical issues ranging from
attacks on the NIST approved algorithms to alternatives to Merkle-Damgard
construction as well as policy issues such as migration strategies and
the suitability of a competition for developing a new hash
standard.  We will look to the results of this workshop to establish
direction for future NIST hash initiatives.  For details, please see
Shu-jen Chang's email, below, and the attached call for
participation.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2

X-Sender: [email-masked]

X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 5.1.1

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:54:13 -0400

To: [email-masked]

From: Shu-jen Chang <[email-masked]>

Subject: Cryptographic Hash Workshop - Call for Participation

X-NIST-MailScanner: Found to be clean

X-MailScanner-From: [email-masked]

Cryptographic Hash
Workshop

NIST Gaithersburg, MD (Green Auditorium)

Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2005

Submission Deadline:
July
15, 2005 (Workshop without Proceedings)

Recently a team of
researchers reported that the SHA-1 function offers significantly less
collision resistance than could be expected from a cryptographic hash
function of its output size.  NIST plans to host a Cryptographic
Hash Workshop on Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2005 to solicit public input in how best
to respond to the current state of research in this area.  The
workshop has the following goals:

·       Assess
the status of the current NIST-approved hash functions, i.e., the SHA-256
and SHA-512 families in
addition to
SHA-1;

·       Discuss
short term actions to mitigate the potential problems with the various
applications of the approved     hash
functions;

·       Discuss
the conditions that would warrant an early transition away from any of
the approved hash functions;

·       Discuss
the potential replacement options for any of the approved hash
functions;

·       Clarify
the properties of unkeyed cryptographic hash functions required for
different applications such as
digital signatures, key
derivation, message authentication, and random number
generation.

NIST solicits papers, presentations, case studies, panel proposals, and
participation from any interested parties, including researchers, systems
architects, vendors, and users.  NIST will post the accepted papers
and presentations on the workshop web site and include these in a
workshop handout. However, no formal workshop proceedings will be
published. NIST encourages presentations and reports on preliminary work
that participants plan to publish elsewhere. Topics for submissions are
included in the attached document, and details about the workshop will be
available at the following web site shortly:
http://www.nist.gov/hash-function

Shu-jen Chang

Computer Security Division

NIST

_______________________________________________
Cfrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:40:26 -0700

>Folks,
>
>Based on the traffic on this list over the last two months, I 
>believe this announcement will be of some interest...
>
>NIST has just announced a Cryptographic Hash Workshop this Fall. 
>This workshop will address a broad range of technical and policy 
>issues ranging from attacks on the NIST approved algorithms to 
>migration strategies.  We will look to the results of this workshop 
>to establish direction for future NIST hash initiatives.  For 
>details, please see Shu-jen Chang's email, below, and the attached 
>call for participation.
>
>I hope that many of you will participate, so that the needs of 
>current and future Internet protocols are adequately represented in 
>this process!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim Polk
>
>>X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2
>>Cryptographic Hash Workshop
>>Submission Deadline: July 15, 2005 (Workshop without Proceedings)
>>
>>Recently a team of researchers reported that the SHA-1 function 
>>offers significantly less collision resistance than could be 
>>expected from a cryptographic hash function of its output size. 
>>NIST plans to host a Cryptographic Hash Workshop on Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 
>>2005 to solicit public input in how best to respond to the current 
>>state of research in this area.  The workshop has the following 
>>goals:
>>
>>·	Assess the status of the current NIST-approved hash 
>>functions, i.e., the SHA-256 and SHA-512 families in	addition to 
>>SHA-1;
>>·	Discuss short term actions to mitigate the potential problems 
>>with the various applications of the approved	hash functions;
>>·	Discuss the conditions that would warrant an early transition 
>>away from any of the approved hash functions;
>>·	Discuss the potential replacement options for any of the 
>>approved hash functions;
>>·	Clarify the properties of unkeyed cryptographic hash 
>>functions required for different applications such as	digital 
>>signatures, key derivation, message authentication, and random 
>>number generation.
>>
>>NIST solicits papers, presentations, case studies, panel proposals, 
>>and participation from any interested parties, including 
>>researchers, systems architects, vendors, and users.  NIST will 
>>post the accepted papers and presentations on the workshop web site 
>>and include these in a workshop handout. However, no formal 
>>workshop proceedings will be published. NIST encourages 
>>presentations and reports on preliminary work that participants 
>>plan to publish elsewhere. Topics for submissions are included in 
>>the attached document, and details about the workshop will be 

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:56:39 -0400

FYI

>Recently a team of researchers reported that the SHA-1 function offers 
>significantly less collision resistance than could be expected from a 
>cryptographic hash function of its output size.  NIST plans to host a 
>Cryptographic Hash Workshop on Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2005 to solicit public 
>input in how best to respond to the current state of research in this 
>area.  The workshop has the following goals:
>
>·       Assess the status of the current NIST-approved hash functions, 
>i.e., the SHA-256 and SHA-512 families in        addition to SHA-1;
>·       Discuss short term actions to mitigate the potential problems with 
>the various applications of the approved     hash functions;
>·       Discuss the conditions that would warrant an early transition away 
>from any of the approved hash functions;
>·       Discuss the potential replacement options for any of the approved 
>hash functions;
>·       Clarify the properties of unkeyed cryptographic hash functions 
>required for different applications such as      digital signatures, key 
>derivation, message authentication, and random number generation.
>
>architects, vendors, and users.  NIST will post the accepted papers and 
>presentations on the workshop web site and include these in a workshop 
>handout. However, no formal workshop proceedings will be published. NIST 
>encourages presentations and reports on preliminary work that participants 
>plan to publish elsewhere. Topics for submissions are included in the 
>attached document, and details about the workshop will be available at the 
>following web site shortly: http://www.nist.gov/hash-function
>
>
>Shu-jen Chang