Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Requirements for new curves

From: "Paterson, Kenny" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 21:05:23 +0000

Dear all,

I've spent today reviewing all the messages to CFRG on new curves - those
concerning requirements (our current phase of enquiry), and more
generally. It's been interesting and informative. I want to thank everyone
who has participated to date. It seems (to me at least) that almost
everything that could be said about requirements has now been said. The
traffic on the list on this topic has also slowed markedly, another sign
that this phase is reaching a natural conclusion.

In the next day or two, I will send to the list a proposal for a list of
requirements that we will use for the second phase of our investigation:
selecting curves to recommend to the TLS WG. I've made careful notes on
all the contributions to the requirements discussion, and my sense it that
we do have a rough consensus concerning what these requirements should be.

NB: I use the word "rough" deliberately here - in looking over the
messages to the list, of course I can see frequent disagreements about
requirements, but in each case, sufficiently many independent views have
been expressed one way or another that a *rough* consensus is clear on
pretty much every issue of substance, even if a perfect harmony of views
has not been expressed.

So, more news from me soon...

Best regards,

Kenny