Subject: [Cfrg] Requirements for PAKE schemes

From: Schmidt, Jörn-Marc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:27:54 +0000

Dear all,

I've just submitted a draft that discusses potential requirements for PAKE
schemes:  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-cfrg-pake-reqs/
Many thanks go to Dan Harkins for his great help & support.

I hope that this document is a kind of starting point for a discussion on
what we expect from PAKE schemes. Any comment/feedback/suggestion is
welcome.

Best regards,

Jörn

---

From: Paul Lambert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:06:21 +0000

Nicely written Š A couple general comments, in section 5 it states:

"This technique can be used
   to parlay a short one-time code, into a long-lived public key.²

This seems much more interesting than just setting up shared secrets.
Perhaps it could be included in the MAY comments to help promote the
addressing of this capability.  A PAKE plus long-lived public key is an
important building block for pairing/setup of devices that use public keys
for authentication.

Where long-lived public keys are used, a requirement should also be added
to discuss the privacy properties of the scheme.

Paul