Subject: [CGA-EXT] IPR declaration for draft-ietf-csi-sndp-prob

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:00:01 +0200

Folks,

This is a heads-up that Ericsson has filed an IPR declaration to the
IETF on this document. I realize this is a problem definition document,
not a specification. But the document does have a section that surveys a
number of different solutions, and I have personal knowledge that some
of those may have Ericsson IPR on them. The IPR declaration will appear
in the database as soon as the secretariat processes it, but it says
that if the working group eventually develops some specification
employing those solutions, then the licensing conditions that hold for
RFC 3971 would also hold for such extensions. Those conditions are in
legal terms "non-assert", i.e., in my layman's understanding employ the
you-dont-sue-us-we-dont-sue-you model.

I am embarrassed that we are making this declaration so late, and its my
fault. I have looked at this document before, but I only read it fully
now that its up for IESG review. In particular, I had not looked at the
section that discusses a number of possible solutions. In my defense I
was already earlier tracking the solution document
(draft-ietf-csi-send-proxy) and to my personal knowledge it has no IPR
issues; the additional material in the problem definition draft took me
by surprise.

Jari