Subject: [CGA-EXT] FYI - an article on improving performances of CGA and SEND

From: Tony Cheneau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:55:58 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

FYI, we released a paper that presents performance enhancement in CGA
and SEND using ECC and GPGPU. I would like to emphasis that using GPGPU
(with a very cheap graphic card), we were able to generate CGA with a
SEC=2 on an average below 10 minutes.

Here is the abstract:
Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA) are today mainly used with
the Secure Neighbor Discovery Protocol (SEND). Despite CGA
generalization, current standards only show how to construct CGA with
the RSA algorithm and SHA-1 hash function. This limitation may prevent
new usages of CGA and SEND in mobile environments where nodes are energy
and storage limited.

In this paper, we present the results of a performance and security
study of the CGA and SEND. To significantly improve the performances of
the CGA, we investigate first replacing RSA with ECC (Elliptic Curve
Cryptography) and ECDSA (Elliptic Curve DSA), and second using the
General-Purpose computing on Graphical Processing Units (GPGPU).
Finally, a performance comparison between different hash algorithms
(SHA-256, WHIRLPOOL,…) allows to prepare a better transition for the CGA
when SHA-1 will be deprecated.

This is sadly, I think, behind a paywall:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2009.12.008

Regards,
 	Tony