Subject: [clue] Comments on draft-wenger-clue-definitions-00.txt

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:46:54 +1000

Hello Stephan,

I've been reviewing draft-wenger-clue-definitions-00.txt and have a few 
comments:

General: The documents uses "speakers" and "loudspeakers" 
interchangeably. We probably should be consistent.

Section 3:
--------------
Audio Mixing: It says "... See RTP Topologies, [RFC5117]." There no use 
of the term "Audio Mixing" in RFC5117. WE may want to be more specific 
as to what we are referring to in RFC5117. The definition of 
"Conference" uses the title of the RFC when making the reference, should 
this same convention be used for Audio Mixing?

Capture device: Given Arnoud's comment's regarding TTS should we 
consider a keyboard a capture device?

Conference: RFC4353 indicates that when used in that RFC "... a 
conference is always a tightly coupled conference". Are we intending 
that the CLUE definition also always assumes a tightly coupled 
conference or a wider definition?

Left: "Wikipadia" should be "Wikipedia"?

Local: Something doesn't read right "physically co-located in the 
context of the discussion". Tt least I stared at it for awhile?? The 
definition of "Remote" doesn't mention "... in the context of the 
discussion".
How about "Local: When used it describes the sender and/or receiver 
physically co-located with the participant?/endpoint? in question; not 
remote."

Model: Instead of using the term "Model" would "Profile" (with the same 
definition) be more appropriate? For me a model is a generic description 
of a system whereas a profile is a specific instantiation of a system.

Remote: "A remote can be an Endpoint or an MCU". I don't think "remote" 
is being proposed to be a noun by the definition. Perhaps "A remote 
<entity> can be...."?

Rendering Device: The use of "optical signals" could suggest fibre optic 
signalling. Would "visual communication" be a better term?

Regards, Christian

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:58:29 -0500

At 01:46 AM 6/14/2011, Christian Groves wrote:
>Hello Stephan,
>
>I've been reviewing draft-wenger-clue-definitions-00.txt and have a 
>few comments:
>
>Audio Mixing: It says "... See RTP Topologies, [RFC5117]." There no 
>use of the term "Audio Mixing" in RFC5117. WE may want to be more 
>specific as to what we are referring to in RFC5117. The definition 
>of "Conference" uses the title of the RFC when making the reference, 
>should this same convention be used for Audio Mixing?
>
>definition of "Remote" doesn't mention "... in the context of the discussion".
>physically co-located with the participant?/endpoint? in question; not remote."

does being co-located also mean in the same room? or building? or city?

I think this gets into the relative nature of how one thinks.

My corporate offices are in San Jose, CA, and for all intents and 
purposes *everyone* else in the world working for my company 
considers any two individuals that are both in San Jose, CA to be 
local to each other, regardless of the actual distance between the 
seats the two are sitting in.

For those who don't know, we have dozens and dozens of buildings 
within our campus in San Jose, CA - thus "local" is relative to the 
point of view from where one's at, IMO.

Should this be considered here?

IMO - "local" from a CLUE point of view would likely involve being in 
the "same room", and not in the same building or in the same city.

James

>Model: Instead of using the term "Model" would "Profile" (with the 
>same definition) be more appropriate? For me a model is a generic 
>description of a system whereas a profile is a specific 
>instantiation of a system.
>
>Remote: "A remote can be an Endpoint or an MCU". I don't think 
>"remote" is being proposed to be a noun by the definition. Perhaps 
>"A remote <entity> can be...."?
>
>Rendering Device: The use of "optical signals" could suggest fibre 
>optic signalling. Would "visual communication" be a better term?
>
>Regards, Christian
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>clue mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue