Subject: [clue] Fwd: [dispatch] Media Stream Related Signaling

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:48:38 +0100

CLUE WG,

As the functionality proposed concerns multi-party conferences and are
especially useful in multi-source end-points like Telepresence
end-points I expect that some are interested in this WG.

The discussion will happen in Paris in the Dispatch WG session,
currently scheduled for Tuesday (27th of March) at
1300-1500.

If you already now have input in the discussion please send email to the
Dispatch WG mailing list.

Cheers

Magnus

Subject: [dispatch] Media Stream Related Signaling
From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
To: DISPATCH list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 16:32:32 +0100
List-Id: DISPATCH Working Group Mail List <dispatch.ietf.org>

Dispatch,

With 10 days until the meeting I would like to provide a reminder on the
upcoming discussion and some clarification on what we believe to be the
high level question that Dispatch needs to resolve for us to be able to
make progress.

First of all we have not updated our drafts. They are still relevant
background material for this discussion:

Media Stream Selection:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-dispatch-stream-selection/

Pause and Resume:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtext-rtp-stream-pause/

The above drafts propose the need for two functionalities:

Choose What Content to Receive - A media receiver wants to dynamically
choose which media stream to receive, out of many possible, from a
certain media sender, out of many possible

Request to Pause Sending of a Content - A media receiver wants to ask
the media sender to temporarily stop sending a specific media stream,
and to resume it with short notice

>From our perspective there exist three different high level methods for
realizing this functionality:

- Using a media control protocol, like BFCP or Media Control Framework
- Using the media plane, like RTCP
- Using the signaling plane, like SIP/SDP or other SIP carried data

What we want out of the Dispatch session is clear indications on what
are the most suitable method or methods (as we have two different
functionalities) that should be worked out. That indication can then
hopefully be turned into a decision pretty quickly to take the work to
one or more WG. We want to be able to continue working on this and
making progress.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
dispatch mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch