Subject: [clue] Boundary between SDP Offer/Answer and CLUE channel

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:54:06 +0200

As a follow-up to the discussion we had yesterday about the CLUE
protocol during the meeting, I would like to verify my understanding of
the differences between the proposals that were presented and/or
discussed. Does the following text provide an accurate summary of the
differences?

1) draft-wenger-clue-transport-02
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wenger-clue-transport/>  and
draft-romanow-clue-sdp-usage-01
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-romanow-clue-sdp-usage/> 

Provider advertisement for encoding, consumer encoding configuration:
SDP O/A

Provider advertisement for media captures:  CLUE protocol

Consumer selection of media captures: CLUE protocol

2) draft-cazeaux-clue-sip-signaling-00
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cazeaux-clue-sip-signaling/>  -
Solution #1

Provider advertisement for encoding, consumer encoding configuration:
SDP O/A

Provider advertisement for media captures:  SDP O/A

Consumer selection of media captures: SDP O/A

3) draft-cazeaux-clue-sip-signaling-00
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cazeaux-clue-sip-signaling/>  -
Solution #2

Provider advertisement for encoding, consumer encoding configuration:
SDP O/A

Provider advertisement for media captures:  SDP O/A

Consumer selection of media captures: CLUE protocol

4) Alternative mentioned during the discussions

Provider advertisement for encoding, consumer encoding configuration:
CLUE protocol

Provider advertisement for media captures:  CLUE protocol

Consumer selection of media captures: CLUE protocol

SDP O/A used to establish the CLUE channel (if on the media plane) and
negotiating the bandwidth for a big pipe

I also understood that the above comparison is largely independent from
discussions about the pros and cons of the Unidirectional vs.
Bidirectional approaches and from the decision to be taken regarding the
transport of the CLUE protocol (i.e. signalling vs. media plane).

BC