Subject: [clue] Add surround-sound type

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 10:28:47 -0400

We need a surround-sound audioChannelFormatType: I recommend 5.1 (letting others fight whether it's Dolby or DTS or both).

   This is needed to satisfy REQMT-2a, IMHO.

   Clearly, the audioChannelFormat enumeration-list needs to be expandable, and we should specify how to expand it in the future (e.g. IANA-FCFS)

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 12:33:30 +1000

Hello John,

I had earlier proposed to change the audioChannelFormatType to a number 
(i.e. number of channels) to aid extension, e.g.
1 = mono
2 = stereo
5 = 5.1 surround sound

So I'm OK with adding 5.1 and I agree that with for this (and all CLUE 
attributes) we need to specify how to extent them.

Regards,
Christian

On 10/05/2014 12:28 AM, John Leslie wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 10:54:23 -0400

> (i.e. number of channels) to aid extension, e.g.

This seems to be the same problem as stereo. Again, each component needs 
its own point of capture and axis of capture, and this can be described 
as a mix. The number of inputs to the mix is then obvious from the MCC 
declaration. We then *may* need something more to describe how the mix 
is done.

	Thanks,
	Paul

>>     We need a surround-sound audioChannelFormatType: I recommend 5.1
>> (letting others fight whether it's Dolby or DTS or both).
>>
>>     Clearly, the audioChannelFormat enumeration-list needs to be
>> expandable, and we should specify how to expand it in the future (e.g.
>> IANA-FCFS)
>>
>> --

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 11:16:38 -0400

Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> wrote:
> as a mix.

   While there _are_ detail differences in surround-sound miking, these
aren't terribly important for sound reproduction, since the total
(multi-channel) output represents a virtual room.

   (Stereo doesn't attempt a virtual room, so it means simply two
channels. The reproduction is left to the student! XY stereo needs
completely different reproduction from separate-mike stereo; and
"binaural" needs headphones; etc.)

> The number of inputs to the mix is then obvious from the MCC 
> declaration. We then *may* need something more to describe how the
mix is done.

   My mind boggles at trying to describe in CLUE the many different
ways a "mix" can be done. It boggles considerably more when we're
talking about a mix with surround-sound output!