Subject: [clue] Design team meetings announcements

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:07:52 +1000

Hello Paul and Mary,

With respect to the design team meetings would it be possible to confirm 
the meeting and have the meeting materials available earlier? Say the 
Friday before the meeting. I think it would be helpful to know 
definitely whether a design team meeting will go ahead a couple of days 
before hand to help with planning schedules. I also would find it more 
beneficial to have drafts/meeting material available a couple of days 
before the meeting to allow some time for review for educated 
discussions rather than sighting it at or shortly before the meeting.

Regards, Christian

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:42:01 -0400

Christian,

Yes, I'll try to get notice out in advance. Absent an explicit notice, 
you should go by the schedule on the Wiki - if there is an explicit 
topic for the date then assume there will be a meeting. (I actually 
intended to get out the notice about this week's meeting on Monday. I 
had the message ready to send but forgot to send it until Tues morning. 
My bad.)

Regarding getting the material out in advance - I think that will depend 
on the individual. If we make these meetings too formal and too planned 
then it will be harder to get people to talk.

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 6/12/14 1:07 AM, Christian Groves wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> clue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/clue
>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:48:26 -0500

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Christian,
>
> Yes, I'll try to get notice out in advance. Absent an explicit notice, you
> should go by the schedule on the Wiki - if there is an explicit topic for
> the date then assume there will be a meeting. (I actually intended to get
> out the notice about this week's meeting on Monday. I had the message ready
> to send but forgot to send it until Tues morning. My bad.)
>
[MB] I think the notices on the wiki are sufficient. [/MB]

> then it will be harder to get people to talk.
[MB] Exactly.  Given that the topics are directly related to drafts, issues
in the tracker and/or issues being discussed on the mailing list, one
should already have a lot of context going into the meetings.  I don't
think it's reasonable to expect someone to prepare slides early and then
have to adjust since the WG should obviously not be waiting for the
meetings to discuss the topics. The meetings are intended to provide a
higher bandwidth conversation that will hopefully allow us to resolve
issues more quickly than relying on email and/or waiting for f2f meetings.
[/MB]

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:31:53 +1000

Hello Paul and Mary,

I think its good that Paul has been announcing meetings. It serves as a 
useful prompt. All I'm asking for is that there's a known confirmation 
time (earlier) so that people in all timezones have a chance to plan for 
the meeting.

Regards, Christian

On 13/06/2014 12:48 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Christian,
>
>     Yes, I'll try to get notice out in advance. Absent an explicit
>     notice, you should go by the schedule on the Wiki - if there is an
>     explicit topic for the date then assume there will be a meeting.
>     (I actually intended to get out the notice about this week's
>     meeting on Monday. I had the message ready to send but forgot to
>     send it until Tues morning. My bad.)
>
[CNG] I don't think the wiki is sufficient for confirmation. Its not 
always up to date and doesn't reflect situations like, "we didn't 
receive input, so there's no meeting." I can't see that having the 
materials available earlier somehow will harm the conversation?
>
>
>     Regarding getting the material out in advance - I think that will
>     depend on the individual. If we make these meetings too formal and
>     too planned then it will be harder to get people to talk.
>
> [MB] Exactly.  Given that the topics are directly related to drafts, 
> issues in the tracker and/or issues being discussed on the mailing 
> list, one should already have a lot of context going into the 
> meetings.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to prepare 
> slides early and then have to adjust since the WG should obviously not 
> be waiting for the meetings to discuss the topics.
[CNG] Wouldn't feedback from the WG be a good thing? As for update, we'd 
be only talking a day or two in advance. Not weeks.
> The meetings are intended to provide a higher bandwidth conversation 
> that will hopefully allow us to resolve issues more quickly than 
> relying on email and/or waiting for f2f meetings. [/MB]
[CNG] Yes, if people had a chance to read the materials before the 
design team it might make things quicker. Rather than saying "I haven't 
had time to read the draft, but.....".
>         [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:24:01 -0400

Christian,

As I said - I'll *try*. (But I'm not always very reliable about such 
things.) But in the absence of such notice you should consider the wiki 
to be definitive.

	Thanks,
	Paul