Subject: Re: Charsets and language

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:50:54 +0100

At 10:01 26/04/99 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:

>From a product perspective, Yes, the vocabulary of resource features should
>include the notions of language and charset.
>
>From a process perspective, No, the media features registry is not the
>right process for establishing appropriate values of these features; there
>are senior authorities already controlling vocabulary for designating
>language and charset and these should be followed.

For clarification of the features registry:  it is very much part of the
registration framework to allow a reference to an existing registry.  The
purpose of a media feature registration is to establish a new feature tag
name, and to indicate directly or by reference the allowed feature values
and their meaning.

So, I would have every expectation that (say) a charset feature would
reference the IANA charset registry, and a language feature would reference
an exsting registry (I personally favour the HTTP approach suggested by
Martin Duerst).

In other words, I agree.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])