Subject: [COSE] Question on RFC 7252

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 23:03:28 -0800

In section 2.2, these is discussion dealing with figure 5 about how to deal
with the case where a server can perform an operation, but it may take a
while to do and it does not want the client to continually send it messages
or time out waiting for a response.  The solution presented requires that a
token be present in the original request so that it can be tied to the
eventual response message.   There does not appear to be any text dealing
with the case of a token not being present.

What is the proper response to say - ask again but make sure there is a
token in the request this time?  One could start the request processing and
respond with a 5.03 - service unavailable and an estimate of how long it
will take to complete the request but that seems wrong some how

What is the correct response to give if the separate message cannot be sent
anytime soon because the server already has a message in its cache with the
message id of the original request?  I am assuming, and believe that the
text in section 4.4 says that messages ids must be unique for the sender to
a specific address so the changes are low unless the server is using a hit
cache for multiple recipients.

Jim

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 23:18:21 -0800

Sorry - wrong mailing list.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: COSE [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim Schaad
> Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 11:03 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [COSE] Question on RFC 7252
> 
> In section 2.2, these is discussion dealing with figure 5 about how to
deal with
> the case where a server can perform an operation, but it may take a while
to do
> and it does not want the client to continually send it messages or time
out
> waiting for a response.  The solution presented requires that a token be
present
> in the original request so that it can be tied to the
token in
> the request this time?  One could start the request processing and respond
with
> a 5.03 - service unavailable and an estimate of how long it will take to
complete
> the request but that seems wrong some how
> 
text in
> section 4.4 says that messages ids must be unique for the sender to a
specific
> address so the changes are low unless the server is using a hit cache for
multiple
> recipients.
> 
> Jim
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> COSE mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cose