Subject: [COSE] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-cose-msg-19: (with COMMENT)

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:20:41 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cose-msg-19: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cose-msg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen, I've seen several documents recently that "reference CDDL
informatively" and I don't believe that. So the whole situation with CDDL
makes me rather unhappy.

Comments on the document:

This is a well written document, despite its length. Thank you for that.

Some specific comments:

I am pretty sure that the CDDL reference is normative.

On page 13: media type syntax reference is outdated, you should reference
RFC 6838, Section 4.2 has relevant ABNF.

In Media type registrations:

Applications that use this media type: To be identified

This answer is not useful, please specify types of applications that will
be using these media types. Something along the lines of what you
specified in the Introduction.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 07:55:32 -0400

We've gotten enough questions on this that I'm thinking the best course of action is to make a change and put it back through last call.  The change could be to make the reference normative and wait on the publication of CDDL (in the editors queue) or to fully specify the format in this draft.

I'll wait until a little before 10 in hopes we get some more discussion.

Thank you,
Kathleen 

Please excuse typos, sent from handheld device 

> On Sep 28, 2016, at 6:20 PM, Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:50:20 -0400

I'll leave it on this weeks call since this is the only outstanding
issue.  We can sort through what to do with it so we don't have to
have it on a telecjat again.

Thanks,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen