Subject: [COSE] Magnus Westerlund's Discuss on draft-ietf-cose-rfc8152bis-struct-10: (with DISCUSS)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:11:08 -0700

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cose-rfc8152bis-struct-10: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cose-rfc8152bis-struct/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late discuss, however rather than deferring the review two weeks
we agreed that I would do a later review.

This relates to the registries created in RFC 8152. These registries do exist,
however the registry rules will not be documented in the replacement standards
track document that is in force. And if you look at the IANA page for the COSE
regsistries (https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#algorithms), they
simply reference back to RFC 8152 which after approval of this document will be
an obsoleted RFC.

Thus, I am of the opinion that the rules for expert review and other
registration rules for an IETF created registry should exist in an current in
force RFC that is referenced by the registry. Thus, I would propose that the
registration rule texts from Section 16 in RFC 8152 is included in Section 12
of this document and also request the IANA to update the registry references to
point to the new document.