Subject: [COSE] Protocol Action: 'COSE and JOSE Registrations for WebAuthn Algorithms' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-cose-webauthn-algorithms-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 08:56:15 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'COSE and JOSE Registrations for WebAuthn Algorithms'
  (draft-ietf-cose-webauthn-algorithms-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the CBOR Object Signing and Encryption
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy, Benjamin Kaduk and Roman
Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cose-webauthn-algorithms/

Technical Summary

   The W3C Web Authentication (WebAuthn) specification and the FIDO
   Alliance Client to Authenticator Protocol (CTAP) specification use
   CBOR Object Signing and Encryption (COSE) algorithm identifiers.
   This specification registers the following algorithms in the IANA
   "COSE Algorithms" registry, which are used by WebAuthn and CTAP
   implementations: RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5 using SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512,
   and SHA-1, and ECDSA using the secp256k1 curve and SHA-256.  It
   registers the secp256k1 elliptic curve in the IANA "COSE Elliptic
   Curves" registry.  Also, for use with JSON Object Signing and
   Encryption (JOSE), it registers the algorithm ECDSA using the
   secp256k1 curve and SHA-256 in the IANA "JSON Web Signature and
   Encryption Algorithms" registry and the secp256k1 elliptic curve in
   the IANA "JSON Web Key Elliptic Curve" registry.

Working Group Summary

   Consensus to publish appears to be firm, and a number of specific
   people were identified as having provided reviews, all of which have
   been addressed.

Document Quality

   The document has had clear working group consensus for publication and it has
   been reviewed by a few working group participants since its adoption. 

Personnel

   Ivaylo Petrov is the document shepherd.
   Murray Kucherawy is the responsible Area Director.