Subject: [COSE] prior work adjacent to CBOR certificates

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 12:31:09 -0800

Hi all,

Via https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/13925 I learned about a
proposal for CBOR certificates in Filip Forsby's thesis from 2017:
http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1153958/FULLTEXT01.pdf .

I don't expect it to be directly relevant for our work, but I figured I'd
mention it since I didn't see a previous mention of it in the archives.

-Ben

---

From: Joel Höglund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 23:33:51 +0100

Hi!

Interesting observation, thank you for linking to the ongoing
OpenSSL-discussion!

It is correct that the original thesis hasn't been referenced, but if you
check [X.509-IoT] you will find the condensed conference paper version of
the thesis (Forsby, F., Furuhed, M., Papadimitratos, P., and S. Raza,
"Lightweight X.509 Digital Certificates for the Internet of Things").

Best Regards

Joel Höglund

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 21:31, Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> COSE mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cose
>

---

From: John Mattsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 22:37:09 +0000

Hi Ben,

The current COSE CBOR certificate work is based on the work by Filip that you mention. Shahid Raza was the supervisor for Filip. Joel Höglund also helped with the work and are thanked in the thesis.

draft-mattsson-cose-cbor-cert-compress acknowledges this by referring to the paper that Filip, Panos, Shahid, and Martin wrote based on the thesis.

"This document specifies a CBOR encoding based on {{X.509-IoT}}"

Shahid, Joel, and Martin are all co-authors of draft-mattsson-cose-cbor-cert-compress. For the example RFC 7925 certificate, the CBOR encoding is still quite close to the encoding suggested in Filip's thesis.

Cheers,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: COSE <[email-masked]> on behalf of Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, 21 January 2021 at 21:31
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [COSE] prior work adjacent to CBOR certificates

Hi all,

Via https://protect2.fireeye.com/v1/url?k=a44479cf-fbdf40c9-a4443954-86ee86bd5107-535f72e3ec3fdd61&q=1&e=7f17a874-19bd-449a-b4cf-519c97a59477&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fopenssl%2Fopenssl%2Fissues%2F13925 I learned about a
proposal for CBOR certificates in Filip Forsby's thesis from 2017:
http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1153958/FULLTEXT01.pdf .

-Ben

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:37:18 -0800

Ah, thanks for the better memory than me.  I mostly assumed we had noticed
it before, but I just didn't find the right search terms.

-Ben