Subject: [COSE] XMSS: Generating usable test vectors for JOSE and COSE

From: Orie Steele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 09:23:27 -0500

Friends,

We've been working on generating test vectors for:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8391

That we could use to register the `kty` and `alg` for XMSS such that it
could be used by JOSE and COSE.

https://github.com/transmute-industries/xmss

I've reached the limits of my ability to move this ball forward, and am
here to ask for help.

I'm not very good with GoLang, and the original xmss source I am basing
this on is difficult for me to extend.

I am unsure how correct what I have is even with respect to the RFC, mostly
needing to trust the original go source.

I don't have multiple signature tests, which are pretty critical to gaining
confidence that a stateful signature scheme is functioning correctly.

If you are a Go / TypeScript developer, and would like to help with these
issues, we welcome contributions.

If we cannot get multiple implementations and stable test vectors for XMSS
we will not attempt to register it for use with JOSE / COSE, but that can
always be done later if the scheme becomes more popular.

If you are interested in seeing XMSS for JOSE and COSE registered and have
time and skill to volunteer to contribute to this objective, please message
me or dive into issues and PRs.

Regards,

OS

-- 
*ORIE STEELE*
Chief Technical Officer
www.transmute.industries

<https://www.transmute.industries>