Subject: [Ietf-not43] ICANN imposed fields

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:25:47 -0400

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_zark-27489-1034790062-0001-2
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

It was come to my attention via hearsay that ICANN is going to propose 
or that somebody is going to propose to ICANN mandatory fields for 
"whois" services.  The specific one that I'm aware of is "Last 
Verified".  I assume this is date/time when contact information has been 
last verified.

Does anybody know anything about this or any other fields?

-andy

--=_zark-27489-1034790062-0001-2
Content-Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature; name="smime.p7s"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="smime.p7s"
Content-Description: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

--=_zark-27489-1034790062-0001-2--

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephane Bortzmeyer)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:37:31 +0200

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:25:47PM -0400,
 Andrew Newton <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 89 lines which said:

> It was come to my attention via hearsay that ICANN is going to 
> propose or that somebody is going to propose to ICANN mandatory 
> fields for "whois" services. 

Like Scott noticed, you probably refer to the Interim Report of the
Names Council's WHOIS Task Force
<URL:http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20021015.NCWhoisTF-interim-report.html>,
which contains sentences like:

>The recommendations of the Task Force prioritize the importance of
>WHOIS in the gTLDs, however, the Task Force believes that there is
>merit for users, and we hope mutual benefit to the ccTLDs to
>participate in a process to agree to both uniformity and consistency
>of data elements, and to participate in development and adoption of
>industry standards, as they become available.

You can interpet that as an intent by ICANN to mandate a common
protocol (which should be IETF business, in this WG and others) *and*
to mandate a given schema (which is neither IETF, nor ICANN business).

> is "Last Verified".  I assume this is date/time when contact 
> information has been last verified.

But I see no mention of this specific element in the report (or of any
other element). As often, ICANN just waves things but does not dare to
mandate specific requirments.