Subject: [Ietf-not43] 3.2.5 Nameserver Search

From: [email-masked] (Paul Stahura)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:24:38 -0800

Since more and more names are utlizing large name servers 
(1,000, 10,000, 100,000+ names per nameserver),
this search will most likely result in truncated output, which limits its
utility.
Wouldn't a more effective way to perform this service be to
dowload the TLD zone files, load them into a local DB and run a
non-distributed query?
At least it would not burden our distributed crisp servers.

Also, with this command, would it not be possible to re-create the zone file
for a TLD that does not publish its zone?
I think so, because a list of all (or most) IP addresses that point to
authoritive 
name servers is possible to obtain, then you'd just have to pound the crisp
system
to get the list of names that use each one.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess the registries that do not
publish their zones would not dig that.

Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Newton)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:07:06 -0500

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

--=_zak-23515-1036707568-0001-2
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

> to get the list of names that use each one.

Where do you obtain that list?  From the non-published zone file?

Plus, pounding on the system is limited by the operators policy for 3.1.1.

-andy

--=_zak-23515-1036707568-0001-2
Content-Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature; name="smime.p7s"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="smime.p7s"
Content-Description: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

--=_zak-23515-1036707568-0001-2--