Subject: Re: [Curdle] Adoption

From: John Mattsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 08:34:42 +0000

I would in general favour adoption of Ed448. Cryptographic algorithms with
more than 128-bit security are widely used by government and enterprises
where the additional security margin is considered worth the extra
processing. New forms of cryptanalysis reducing the security of current
state-of-the-art algorithms is certainly imaginable, and replacing
software and especially hardware takes time. I think the general problem
is too late deprecation of weak and totally broken algorithms. I do not
see the use of “more than needed security” as a problem.

That said, some protocols such as DNSSEC might be best served by a few
carefully selected algorithms.

On 22/02/16 17:29, "Curdle on behalf of Salz, Rich"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>> Would adding a prominent (at the beginning, at the end) notice to the
>>I-D
>> that this draft was adopted to be thoroughly discussed in the WG, but
>>it's not
>> necessarily meant for ending as RFC, help to adopt this?  So we can
>>move on?
>
>Not needed.  That's what adoption means.  So far it seems that Paul is
>the only one opposed; do others agree with him, or is he "in the rough"
>in terms of consensus?
>
>_______________________________________________
>Curdle mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/curdle

---

From: Watson Ladd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 07:08:23 -0800

> see the use of “more than needed security” as a problem.

Have you actually considered how much time you actually have? For
encryption you can *never* replace the algorithm you used: it must
remain secure for the lifetime of the encrypted data. Authentication
only needs to be secure when the authentication happens.

I agree depreciation is a problem, but we are getting better at it:
SHA-1 in PKIX has  signed death warrant, while MD5 had a surprisingly
long. And if you are saying that it is likely that Ed25519 breaks in 5
or 10 years, you probably don't want to use it for encryption.

-- 
"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
--Rousseau.