Subject: [Curdle] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-curdle-cms-eddsa-signatures-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 16:18:06 -0700

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-curdle-cms-eddsa-signatures-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-cms-eddsa-signatures/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 1.2:

   CMS values are generated using ASN.1 [X680], which uses the Basic
   Encoding Rules (BER) and the Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER)
   [X690].

Recommend:

   CMS values are generated using ASN.1 [X680], using the Basic
   Encoding Rules (BER) and the Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER)
   [X690].

(Rationale: ASN.1 has many more encodings than this, and the original phrasing
implies that these are the only two.)

I'm a little surprised that there are no citations for Curve25519, Curve488,
and "Schnorr's signature system." If it is realistic add citations for these, I
believe it would be an improvement.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:40:51 -0400

Thanks for the careful review.  I have made the changes described below in my edit buffer.

I suggest:

   CMS values are generated using ASN.1 [X680] with the Basic
   Encoding Rules (BER) and the Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER)
   [X690].

> believe it would be an improvement.

I added two informative references:

   [CURVE25519]
              Bernstein, D., "Curve25519: new Diffie-Hellman speed
              records", DOI 10.1007/11745853_14, February 2006,
              <http://cr.yp.to/ecdh.html>.

   [CURVE448] Hamburg, M., "Ed448-Goldilocks, a new elliptic curve",
              June 2015, <http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/625>.

Russ

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:04:25 -0500

Thanks! These look good to me.

/a