Subject: [Curdle] FW: [saag] Interested in chairing a WG?

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 21:48:52 +0000

This WG is preparing to close down, now that our last document is in the RFC Editor's queue.  Before you go, however, please consider if you'd like to chair/co-chair an IETF working group in the future.

I'd like to particular encourage first-timers to think about it. You'd be paired with someone experienced.

On 1/19/22, 12:08 PM, "Roman Danyliw" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi!

    The IETF functions best when there is a robust and diverse pipeline of candidates in WG leadership positions.  Ben and I would like to have a pool of candidates to select from when any WG chair positions need to be filled.  Such a pool lets us tailor a match between the position, and the skills and potential of the candidates in question. 

    We're sending this note to make sure we've got the broadest pool available for future WG chair assignments.  If you are interested in chairing, or know someone interested in chairing, please email us privately.  Chairs with previous experience are great.  No prior experience is also fine as we often pair experienced chairs with those new to the role.  If you previously responded to calls such as this [1] [2], we would still like to hear from you again to confirm your interest.

    Thanks, and looking forward to talking to you.

    Regards,
    Roman and Ben

    [1] url deleted
    [2] url deleted

    _______________________________________________
    saag mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag__;!!GjvTz_vk!EJmBNXp8iZ9nRQnsLA-SesDsb4ok373w7gKHrsEoONItsXjGYFv2Aidfoeo8$

---

From: denis bider <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 03:16:44 -0600

Over the past two years, humanity has proven itself completely unfit
to use the technology we already have.

Instead of using the marvelous inventions at our fingertips to our
advantage, the blind and uncritical inaction of at least half the
population has allowed a trap to be sprung from which there will soon
be no exit.

The trap we have cheerfully entered already includes total
surveillance from every corner of our walls; surveillance of all our
movements from our pocket spy-phones; while the hippest enthusiasts
even wear biometric recorders.

These wrist-worn recorders have an especially morbid role, as they
dutifully report the vanishing heartbeats of their owners into the
cloud - after the other devices ensured that the victim's heartbeat
would indeed vanish.

There's the smartphone, conveniently censored so that the screams of
hundreds of thousands of injured are unable to reach anyone. The only
permitted message is that it is safe and effective, and that to refuse
it is selfish!

There's the entertainment, lulling the unsuspecting into a comfortable
sense of safety. There's the ubiquitous use of cheerful colors and
friendly narratives, denying the consumer the very IDEA that bad
things could exist in the world. We used to have stories like Hansel
and Gretel, warning children of macabre dangers in the woods. Now we
have movie upon movie about how monsters don't actually exist, and how
the REAL monsters are people who try to warn us.

There's the smart TV on the wall, taking screenshots of what you
watch, uploading them for continuous analysis of your consumption.
There's the "smart home assistant" monitoring all your conversations.

Way in the back, in a place that none of us have ever seen, there are
machines that are capable of simulating an entire economy. These
machines collect all of the information, from all of the sources, and
make it available to people who really decide.

In the 1980s, these machines allowed predicting how a price shock in
one area would affect the economy in another. This delivered an edge
that could be used to consolidate control over vast industries. Areas
of activity that once comprised thousands of corporations are now...
six, or so.

In 2020, these machines work at the speed of light, and have access to
people's heartbeats. They can predict so much more than they predicted
before.

They can predict how much exactly it's possible to censor people so
they still feel they're being looked over by a friendly older sibling
who only wants what's best for them; but not to clasp them so much
that they'd feel like they're being attacked by a decades-long global
military exercise to completely control and submit humanity, which is
actually what is true.

And so the person who was lied to by his smartphone makes the
imprudent decision, which the machines predicted he could be goaded
into. A couple weeks later, his smartwatch records his final
heartbeats.

And as goes this one person, so goes the world.

Stop contributing to this bullshit.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 3:49 PM Salz, Rich
<rsalz=[email-masked]> wrote:
> Curdle mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/curdle