Subject: [Curdle] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC8410 (6936)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8410,
"Algorithm Identifiers for Ed25519, Ed448, X25519, and X448 for Use in the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6936

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Ryan Culpepper <[email-masked]>

Section: 10.2

Original Text
-------------
   -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
   MIIBLDCB36ADAgECAghWAUdKKo3DMDAFBgMrZXAwGTEXMBUGA1UEAwwOSUVURiBUZX
   N0IERlbW8wHhcNMTYwODAxMTIxOTI0WhcNNDAxMjMxMjM1OTU5WjAZMRcwFQYDVQQD
   DA5JRVRGIFRlc3QgRGVtbzAqMAUGAytlbgMhAIUg8AmJMKdUdIt93LQ+91oNvzoNJj
   ga9OukqY6qm05qo0UwQzAPBgNVHRMBAf8EBTADAQEAMA4GA1UdDwEBAAQEAwIDCDAg
   BgNVHQ4BAQAEFgQUmx9e7e0EM4Xk97xiPFl1uQvIuzswBQYDK2VwA0EAryMB/t3J5v
   /BzKc9dNZIpDmAgs3babFOTQbs+BolzlDUwsPrdGxO3YNGhW7Ibz3OGhhlxXrCe1Cg
   w1AH9efZBw==
   -----END CERTIFICATE-----

Corrected Text
--------------
(re-encode certificate)

Notes
-----
The example certificate violates RFC 5280.  Specifically, the
certificate contains a BasicConstraints extension that explicitly
encodes the cA field with a value of FALSE, but that is the default
value of the cA field, and the Extension extnValue is required to be
encoded using DER, which forbids including a field set to its default
value.

In addition, the PEM-encoded certificate violates RFC 7468, which
requires lines to be wrapped to 64 characters, but the example is
wrapped to 66-character lines.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC8410 (draft-ietf-curdle-pkix-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Algorithm Identifiers for Ed25519, Ed448, X25519, and X448 for Use in the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
Publication Date    : August 2018
Author(s)           : S. Josefsson, J. Schaad
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG