Subject: [Dance] Robert Wilton's No Objection on charter-ietf-dance-00-01: (with COMMENT)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 05:58:45 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-dance-00-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dance/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds useful.

I'm wondering whether restricting the initial use case to TLS client only will
limit its usefulness in IOT onboarding?

I'm not sure if it is important, but from the scope of work, it is unclear to
me whether the format of DNS DANE records would need to change, or whether this
is use a new use of the existing DANE records.

Nits:

Para 3:
"DANE builds on" => "DANE built on"?  Or otherwise perhaps change "DANE did
not" to "the DANE WG did not".

Para 4:
"large deployment" => "large deployments"?

Are the milestone dates correct (i.e., the architecture and use cases is
expected to be standardized after the solution)?

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 12:23:53 -0400

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I'm wondering whether restricting the initial use case to TLS client
    > only will limit its usefulness in IOT onboarding?

I don't think so.

    > Are the milestone dates correct (i.e., the architecture and use cases
    > is expected to be standardized after the solution)?

To my mind, the documents should be finalized together.

That doesn't mean that the WG can't do a WGLC on them prior to that.
I suspect that they will form a cluster in the Q anyway, so might as well
allow the WG to fix minutia.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide