Subject: [dane] Consensus on the Hash vs Base32 discussion.

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 13:04:36 -0400

Consensus has been hard to judge here, and seems to have evolved over
time, which is a sign that people have been looking at things from
different perspectives.

The chairs judge that the privacy arguments for the hashing solution
tip the scales in it's favor, so we are instructing the authors to
keep the hashing text without doing any case folding.

These documents are experimental, largely because of the email address
encoding. It is entirely possible that deployment experiment this will
show that better choices exist - but, at least we have made a choice.

We would like to thank the Working Group and the authors in particular
for their patience and involvement in this (long) discussion.

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf