Subject: [decade] RFC series for NFS v4.1 just published

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:17:09 -0500

Folks,

Since we are seriously looking at NFS as a candidate data access and
management protocol for Decade, we should all be aware of the latest NFS
v4.1 RFCs published by the nfsv4 working group just this week:

5661 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5661.txt>  

Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol S. Shepler,
M. Eisler, D. Noveck [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 1517771) (Status: PROPOSED
STANDARD) (Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

5662 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5662.txt>  

Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 External Data
Representation Standard (XDR) Description S. Shepler, M. Eisler, D.
Noveck [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 126581) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
(Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

5663 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5663.txt>  

Parallel NFS (pNFS) Block/Volume Layout D. Black, S. Fridella, J.
Glasgow [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 68571) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
(Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

5664 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5664.txt>  

Object-Based Parallel NFS (pNFS) Operations B. Halevy, B. Welch, J.
Zelenka [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 78200) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
(Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

5665 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5665.txt>  

IANA Considerations for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Network Identifiers
and Universal Address Formats M. Eisler [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 28706)
(Updates RFC1833 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1833.txt> ) (Status:
PROPOSED STANDARD) (Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

5666 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5666.txt>  

Remote Direct Memory Access Transport for Remote Procedure Call T.
Talpey, B. Callaghan [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 83728) (Status: PROPOSED
STANDARD) (Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

5667 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5667.txt>  

Network File System (NFS) Direct Data Placement T. Talpey, B. Callaghan
[ January 2010 ] (TXT = 83728) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD) (Stream:
IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

-- Rich

---

From: Song Haibin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:07:18 +0800

I got the following information through the reference..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System_(protocol

SMB and  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetWare_Core_Protocol> NetWare Core
Protocol (NCP) occur more commonly than NFS on systems running Microsoft
Windows; AFP occurs more commonly than NFS in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Macintosh> Macintosh systems; and
QFileSvr.400 occurs more commonly in  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/400>
AS/400 systems.
 
Xie Xie,
Haibin

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Woundy, Richard
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [decade] RFC series for NFS v4.1 just published

Folks,

Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 Protocol S. Shepler, M.
Eisler, D. Noveck [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 1517771) (Status: PROPOSED
STANDARD) (Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Minor Version 1 External Data
Representation Standard (XDR) Description S. Shepler, M. Eisler, D. Noveck [
January 2010 ] (TXT = 126581) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD) (Stream: IETF,
Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

Parallel NFS (pNFS) Block/Volume Layout D. Black, S. Fridella, J. Glasgow [
January 2010 ] (TXT = 68571) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD) (Stream: IETF,
Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

Object-Based Parallel NFS (pNFS) Operations B. Halevy, B. Welch, J. Zelenka
[ January 2010 ] (TXT = 78200) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD) (Stream: IETF,
Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

IANA Considerations for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Network Identifiers and
Universal Address Formats M. Eisler [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 28706) (Updates
RFC1833 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1833.txt> ) (Status: PROPOSED
STANDARD) (Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

Remote Direct Memory Access Transport for Remote Procedure Call T. Talpey,
B. Callaghan [ January 2010 ] (TXT = 83728) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
(Stream: IETF, Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

Network File System (NFS) Direct Data Placement T. Talpey, B. Callaghan [
January 2010 ] (TXT = 83728) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD) (Stream: IETF,
Area: tsv, WG: nfsv4) 

-- Rich