Subject: [decade] Some specific DECADE requirements

From: Börje Ohlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:42:50 +0200

At the last IETF meeting we proposed some general requirement on 
taking roaming users into account and to cater for data reuse. The 
general opinion was that requirements should be more specific. We have 
tried to derive some more specific requirement from the fairly general 
requirement in our draft.

Regarding taking roaming users into account. A more specific requirement 
that can be derived is that there is a need for a discovery service that 
can tell a decade client where its in-network storage can be located 
when attaching to a network.

There is also a need for each user/client to be able to have multiple 
in-network storages active at the same time. One example of when this is 
needed is when a user/client roams to another network, then it is 
reasonable to assume that the currently used in-network storage remains 
active for a certain time not to disrupt ongoing communication sessions 
at the same time as another in-network storage might immediately be 
needed in the new network.

Regarding the general requirement on 'data reuse' it is clear that there 
should be a requirement on the the storage system  part of DECADE that 
when it is asked to store multiple copies of the same data object it 
should be allowed to store only one physical copy of the data while, of 
course, keeping track of who stored the different logical copies of the 
object.

Comments and improvements on these requirements are most welcome. Also 
if you have other specific requirements, that can be derived from the 
general requirements, that you would like to propose please do so.

         Börje

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:06:38 -0700

Hi Börje,

Just one clarification question...

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Börje Ohlman <[email-masked]> wrote:

[ ... snip ... ]

> should be a requirement on the the storage system  part of DECADE that when
> it is asked to store multiple copies of the same data object it should be
> allowed to store only one physical copy of the data while, of course,
> keeping track of who stored the different logical copies of the object.

Are you referring to data de-duplication within a single server or
multiple servers?

One of these impacts the protocol, and the other does not.

Thanks!
Rich