Subject: [Detnet] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-detnet-00-00: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:48:43 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-detnet-00-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-detnet/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me put this way: I believe the charter text now contains all what it
needs (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/DetNetDraftCharter
version 15), but the flow makes it difficult to read. However, I could
live with it.

Regards, Benoit

===========================

The Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Working Group focuses on
deterministic data paths that operate over layer 2 bridged and layer 3
routed segments, where such paths can provide bounded latency, loss, and
packet delay variation (jitter). 

EXPLAIN IN ONE SENTENCE OR TWO THE MOTIVATION
Various industries, for example, professional audio, electrical 
utilities, building automation systems, wireless for industrial 
applications require this capability because...

The Working Group will collaborate with IEEE802.1 Time-Sensitive
Networking (TSN), 
which is responsible for layer 2 operations, to define a common
architecture 
for both layer 2 and layer 3. For this common architecture, a number of
elements 
such as the IEEE802.1 TSN host operation should be agnostic to the choice
of 
network used for the connectivity.

The work applies to flows that can be characterized in a manner that
allows the
network to 1) reserve the appropriate resources for the flows in advance,
and 
2) release/reuse the resources when they are no longer required.  
The work covers the characterization of flows, the encapsulation of
frames, 
the required forwarding behaviors, as well as the state that may need to
be 
established in intermediate nodes.

Out of scope is the end-to-end considerations such the transport
protocols,
modification of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM), L3
forwarding 
and encapsulations, or control plane protocols. 

DetNet is chartered to work in the following areas:

 * Problem statement and requirements: These documents will not
necessarily 
   be published, but may be maintained in a draft form or on a
collaborative 
   Working Group wiki to support the efforts of the Working Group and
help new comers. 

 * An architecture that encompasses the data plane, OAM, management,
control, 
   and security aspects required to enable a multi-hop path, and
forwarding 
   along that path, with the deterministic properties of controlled
latency, 
   low packet loss, low packet delay variation, and high reliability. 
   As part of the overall architecture work, the working group will
document 
   which deployment environments and types of topologies that are within

   (or outside) the scope of the DetNet architecture.  

 * Data plane: This work will document a data plane method of flow
   identification and packet forwarding over Layer 3. Candidate Layer 3
data 
   plane technologies that may be used, without modification, include:
IPv4, 
   IPv6, MPLS. The data plane, which must be compatible with the work in

   IEEE802.1 TSN, is independent from any path setup protocol or
   mechanism. 

 * Data flow information model: This work will identify the information
   needed for flow establishment and control and be used by a
   reservation protocol or by YANG data models. The work will be
   independent from the protocol(s) used to control the flows
   (e.g. YANG+NETCONF/RESTCONF, PCEP or GMPLS).

 * Identification of additional YANG augmentations: This work will
   document device and link capabilities (feature support) and resources
   (e.g. buffers, bandwidth) for use in device configuration and status
   reporting. Such information may also be used when advertising the
   deterministic network elements to a control plane. The work will be
   independent from the protocol(s) that may be used to advertise this
   information (e.g. IS-IS or GMPLS extensions). Any YANG work will be
   coordinated with the working groups that define the base models.
   THIS SECTION NEEDS CLARFIFICATION, BUT I NEED TO SPEAK TO DEBORAH
FIRST

The WG will coordinate with other relevant IETF Working Groups,
including CCAMP, PCE, PALS, TEAS, OSPF, IS-IS, TSVWG, LIME, and 6TisSCH.
As
the work progresses, requirements may be provided to the responsible
Working Group, e.g. PCE, TEAS, and CCAMP, with DetNet acting as a focal
point to maintain the consistency of the overall architecture. The WG
will liaise with appropriate groups in IEEE and other Standards
Development Organizations (SDOs), specifically IEEE802.1 TSN.