Subject: [Detnet] Edits based on comments from Benoit

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:25:58 -0400

Hi,
    The text below has been updated to address comments from Benoit.  A
diff can be found by clicking the history on the wiki
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/DetNetDraftCharter

Please send any concerns with modifications to the list.

Thanks!

Draft DetNet Charter

The Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Working Group focuses on
deterministic data paths that operate over Layer 2 bridged and Layer
3 routed segments, where such paths can provide bounds on latency,
loss, and packet delay variation (jitter), and high reliability. The
Working Group addresses Layer 3 aspects in support of applications
requiring deterministic networking.  The Working Group collaborates
with IEEE802.1 Time Sensitive Networking (TSN), which is responsible
for Layer 2 operations, to define a common architecture for both
Layer 2 and Layer 3. Example applications for deterministic networks
include professional and home audio/video, multimedia in
transportation, engine control systems, and other general industrial
and vehicular applications being consider by the IEEE 802.1 TSN Task
Group.

The Working Group will specify an overall architecture that
encompasses the data plane, OAM (Operations, Administration, and
Maintenance), management, control, and security aspects which are
required to enable a multi-hop path, and forwarding along the path,
with the deterministic properties of controlled latency, low packet
loss, low packet delay variation, and high reliability. The work
applies to flows which can be characterized in a manner that allows
the network to 1) reserve the appropriate resources for the flows in
advance, and 2) release/reuse the resources when they are no longer
required.  The work covers the characterization of flows, the
encapsulation of frames, the required forwarding behaviors, as well
as the state that may need to be established in intermediate
nodes. It does not include end-to-end considerations such as
transport protocols, modification of OAM, Layer 3 forwarding and
encapsulations, or control plane protocols. Candidate Layer 3 data
plane technologies that may be used, without modification, include:
IP and MPLS.  The working group will document which deployment
environments and types of topologies are within (or outside) the
scope of the DetNet architecture.  This work focuses on the data
plane aspects and is independent from any path setup protocol or
mechanism.  The data plane will be compatible with the work done in
IEEE802.1 TSN.

DetNet is chartered to work in the following areas:

 * Overall architecture: This work encompasses the data plane, OAM,
   management, control, and security aspects.

 * Data plane: This work will document a data plane method of flow
   identification and packet forwarding over Layer 3.

 * Data flow information model: This work will identify the
   information needed for flow establishment and control and be used
   by a reservation protocol or by YANG data models. The work will
   be independent from the protocol(s) used to control the flows
   (e.g. YANG+NETCONF/RESTCONF, PCEP or GMPLS).

 * Identification of additional YANG models: This work will document
   device and link capabilities (feature support) and resources
   (e.g. buffers, bandwidth) for use in device configuration and
   status reporting. Such information may also be used when
   advertising the deterministic network elements to a control
   plane. Control plan related information will be independent from
   the protocol(s) which may be used to advertise this information
   (e.g. IS-IS or GMPLS extensions). Any new YANG models will be
   coordinated with the Working Groups that define any augmented
   base models.

 * As needed, problem statement: This effort will establish the
   deployment environment and deterministic network requirements.

 * As needed, vertical requirements: This effort will detail the
   requirements for deterministic networks in various industries,
   for example, professional audio, electrical utilities, building
   automation systems, wireless for industrial applications.

 * To investigate whether existing data plane encryption mechanisms
   can be applied, possibly opportunistically, to improve security
   and privacy.

The WG coordinates with other relevant IETF Working Groups,
including CCAMP, PCE, PALS, TEAS, OSPF, IS-IS, TSVWG, and
6TisSCH. As the work progresses, requirements may be provided to the
responsible Working Group, e.g. PCE, TEAS, and CCAMP, with DetNet
acting as a focal point to maintain the consistency of the overall
architecture. The WG will liaise with appropriate groups in IEEE and
other Standards Development Organizations (SDOs).

WG deliverables include:
 As standard track or informational RFCs
 * Overall architecture
 * Data plane specification
 * Data flow information model
 * YANG model augmentations

WG sustaining/informational documents may include:
    These documents may not necessarily be published, but may be
    maintained in a draft form or on a collaborative Working Group
    wiki to support the efforts of the Working Group and help new
    comers:

 * Problem statement and (constrained) deployment environments
 * User-driven use cases