Subject: [Detnet] A few suggested updates to draft-ietf-detnet-architecture-11

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 12:37:48 -0500

This morning we had a DetNet data plane design team call to work on the
MPLS and IP data plane drafts in preparation for Prague. We had a
discussion of terminology in the drafts that led us back to the terminology
definitions in the Architecture draft.

As a result, we have a few suggested terminology improvements:

In section 2.1:

Replace these old definitions:

   App-flow
           The native format of a DetNet flow.

   DetNet flow
           A DetNet flow is a sequence of packets from one source to one
           or more destinations, which conform uniquely to a flow
           identifier, and to which the DetNet service is to be
           provided.

with these:

App-Flow

         The payload (data) carried over a DetNet service.

  DetNet flow

           A DetNet flow is a sequence of packets

           which conform uniquely to a flow

           identifier, and to which the DetNet service is to be

           provided. It includes any DetNet headers added to support

           the DetNet service and forwarding sub-layers.

These new definitions provide more clarity to the difference between the
terms.

We also had two other minor changes to suggest.

In section 4.2.1, remove the first sentence:

   The native data flow between the source/destination end systems is
   referred to as application-flow (App-flow).

This is redundant to the definition in section 2.1.

In section 4.3.1, change:

   o  App-flow: native format of the data carried over a DetNet flow.
      It does not contain any DetNet related attributes.

to:

   o  App-flow: the payload carried over a DetNet flow.

       It does not contain any DetNet related attributes.

This is consistent with the definition in section 2.1.

Thanks,

Andy

---

From: János Farkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 23:17:34 +0100

Hi,

The suggested changes look good to me.

Thanks,
Janos

On 3/5/2019 6:37 PM, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> This morning we had a DetNet data plane design team call to work on 
> the MPLS and IP data plane drafts in preparation for Prague. We had a 
> discussion of terminology in the drafts that led us back to the 
> terminology definitions in the Architecture draft.
>
> These new definitions provide more clarity to the difference between 
> the terms.
>
>
> oApp-flow: the payload carried over a DetNet flow.
>
> _______________________________________________
> detnet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet