Subject: [Detnet] Moving forward on OAM in DetNet over IP network

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 11:52:22 +0800

Dear All,
I've had discussions on how to ensure that a test session, monitoring for a
failure or measuring performance, shares the fate, i.e., traverses the same
path and receives the same QoS treatment, with the IP DetNet flow. One of
the options considered was using mapping the flows, likely by using ACLs.
That is possible but requires a lot of coordination with the management
plane.
A possible solution may be based on extending the definition of DetNet flow
ID in an IP network. Section 6 of draft-ietf-detnet-ip
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-detnet-ip-03#section-6> defines the
set of information that identifies an individual or an aggregated DetNet
flor in the IP network. Because for the OAM flow some of the information
that is used to define the DetNet flow will be different, we propose to
allow that the DetNet flow may be identified by the value calculated using
the set of information identified in Section 6. Then the OAM flow can be
set in the way that the flow ID calculating function generates the same
identifier. (Using the same DetNet IP  Class of Service for OAM is
straightforward.)

I much appreciate your questions, comments, and suggestions.

Regards,
Greg