Subject: Re: Last call:DHCP Options for Service Location Protocol

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:12:43 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Ralph,

I have concerns about the latest proposal for DHCP options for SLP.  It
appears that support for RFC 2165 has been removed or significantly changed.

The introduction states that these options are used to configure agents
using SLP Version 2 [3].  There is nothing describing Version 1.

In order to change at this point in time, I propose selecting different
option numbers for Version 2.

Todd.

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:40:56 -0500 (EST)

> message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.

The options have been rewritten to support SLPv2 agents.  As the options
were never finalized for SLPv1 we believed that we could issue them for
SLPv2 without worrying about backward compatibility.  

If Novell has released software which implements an old version of the
DHCP options draft we have to regroup and figure out what to do.

We thought it would be preferable to simply support SLPv2 with these DHCP 
options as this would make the options simpler and further, provide incentive 
to move to SLPv2.  We did not realize there was legacy code as we had not yet
release an RFC.

Erik