Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 15:43:05 -0500 (EST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Dynamic Registration and Configuration Protocol (DRCP)
	Author(s)	: A. McAuley, S. Das, S. Baba, Y. Shobatake
	Filename	: draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 28-Oct-99
	
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a framework
for passing configuration information to hosts [DHC].  DHCP was,
however, designed for hosts on a fixed LAN, not for nodes roaming
among commercial wireless networks.  Mobile IP [MIP], when combined
with some recent proposals [e.g., MIPA, MIPD, MIPN, HAW, CEL, TIA],
gives a powerful plug and play capability for roaming hosts, but the
additional functionality may not be needed or may be better provided
using some alternative mechanisms.  This draft proposes an enhanced
version of DHCP for roaming users, called the Dynamic Registration
and Configuration Protocol (DRCP).  DRCP borrows heavily from DHCP
and can revert to using DHCP protocol if only DHCP servers are
present in the network; but adds features critical to roaming users.
Most importantly, DRCP allows rapid configuration using several
modifications, including moving address consistency checking from the
critical path.  Other new features allow:  a) clients to know when to
get a new address independent of the access technology, b) efficient
use of scarce wireless bandwidth, c) nodes to be a relay agent or
server depending on a client's authorization, d) clients to be
routers, e) associating a priority with addresses, and f) identifying
users (e.g., by NAI [NAI]) rather than hardware address.  DRCP also
adds options for QOS negotiation, service activation, and
authentication.
In some sense DRCP is to DHCP what DHCP is to BOOTP.  DRCP directly
supports intra-domain registration and configuration, but must be
combined with other protocols to provide features such as continuous
connectivity (e.g., using Mobile IP or SIP [SIPM]), or inter-domain
authentication, authorization and accounting (e.g., using Radius
[RAD] or Diameter [DIA]).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on

	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt>