Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCP Client

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:37:56 -0600

Hm, may I suggest that you read the source code for the DHCP client?   The 
mechanism for the things you're asking about has to be similar, but you 
haven't even told us which client you're using.   You need to determine:

	- which client you are using.
	- is it actually doing what you think it is doing?
	- Where is the source code?
	- Where in the source code is it doing the things about
	  which you have questions

When you have answered these questions, you should be able to figure out 
the answers to the questions you just asked very easily.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Prakash P <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:58:15 +0530

Hi Ted

Thanks for your valuable information.

Same way I need some more information. How the DHCP client in Linux pass the
network parameters that it get's from the DHCP server to the clients like
NFS client, TFTP client and NTP client?

1.	DHCP client will get the NFS related information from the DHCP
server, like server address and the directory to mount. How this information
will be passed on to the NFS client on the Linux box to mount the remote
directory from the server? (In a diskless client)

2.	DHCP client will get the TFTP related information from the DHCP
server like Server address and the path of the image file to boot/load. How
this information will be passed on to the TFTP client on the Linux box
during the remote booting (In a diskless client)

3.	DHCP client will get the NTP related information from the DHCP
server like NTP server address. How this information will be passed on to
the NTP client on the Linux box to synchronize the Time with the server.

Thanks and Regards 
Prakash P 
Kshema Technologies Ltd., 
Kshema Dhama, Bangalore 
Board No:- 91-80-8603600-10, Extn:- 1200

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 10:32 PM
To: Prakash P
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCP Client

Normally the Linux dhcp client will write a /etc/resolv.conf file based on 
the information sent by the DHCP server, and the DNS resolver on Linux will 
use the information in the /etc/resolv.conf to satisfy DNS lookup requests.