Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP over ATM

From: "Jim Rainville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:01:51 -0800

Hi - 
 
I know DHCP was designed to work over a broadcast media but I need to do
dynamic IP allocation over an ATM network. I have bought an off the
shelf DHCP implementation that does not support this but the
modifications should be fairly straight forward. My plan is to use a
predefined vpi/vci for an end device to send its DHCP request. The DHCP
server will know this is a DHCP request because of the vpi/vci it came
in on. The server will also know how to route it back to the end device
because it will know which physical interface it came in on. My question
is this: Is there a standards defined vpi/vci to do this? Right now my
company is making the end device as well as the server but we may have
to work with third party vendors in the future so a standard vpi/vci
would be nice.
 
Thanks.
Jim

---

From: Van Aken Dirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:46:36 +0100

Jim Rainville wrote:

Hi
-

I
know DHCP was designed to work over a broadcast media but I need to do
dynamic IP allocation over an ATM network. I have bought an off the shelf
DHCP implementation that does not support this but the modifications should
be fairly straight forward. My plan is to use a predefined vpi/vci
for an end device to send its DHCP request. The DHCP server will know this
is a DHCP request because of the vpi/vci
it came in on. The server will also know how to route it back to the end
device because it will know which physical interface it came in on. My
question is this: Is there a standards defined vpi/vci
to do this? Right now my company is making the end device as well as the
server but we may have to work with third party vendors in the future so
a standard vpi/vci would be nice.

Thanks.

Jim

Isn't this the same problem as DHCP over point to point links ? i.e. Appart
from the AAL5/ATM encapsulation I see no real differences (assuming the
DHCP application does not has to run over an NBMA style of ATM network).

Dirk.