Subject: DHCPv6 DHCPv4 inetoperability ?

From: vijaya bhaskar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 00:19:09 +0530

Hello,

DHCPv4 client and server has different port number compared to DHCPv4
client and agent. Is it mean that the dhcpv4 and dhcpv6 should run as
different services ?

what i have undestood is, if the client needs to be configure with v4
address, then it should contact DHCPv4 server and if it needs v6
address, it should contact DHCPv6 server. am i correct ?

Is there any way of interoperability between dhcpv4 and dhcpv6 servers ?

Regards,
Vijay

---

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:22:33 -0400

Vijay:

DHCPv6 is still being designed. But, there is no direct
compatibility/interoperability between DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 - packet formats,
message types, etc are all different.

If a system is running both IPv4 and IPv6 and is using DHCP for addressing,
then it does need to run both of these protocols (DHCPv4 will assign the v4
addresses and DHCPv6 will assign the v6 addresses).

- Bernie Volz
  IPWorks, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: vijaya bhaskar [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2000 2:49 PM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: DHCPv6 DHCPv4 inetoperability ?

Hello,

Regards,
Vijay