Subject: DHCP option for SIP server

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:59:10 +0200

Hello,

I'm currently working on DHCPv6 and I'm interested in one option
proposed by Schulzrinne and Nair for DHCP (draft-ietf-sip-dhcp-04.txt).
It is the DHCP Option for SIP Servers and it looks like this:

 Code  Len      DNS name of SIP server
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+--
| TBD |  n  | s1  | s2  | s3  | s4  | s5  |  ...
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+--

As far as I see, is this option only for IPv4 (due to that code and len
are only 8 bit long and in DHCPv6 these both are 16 bit). Is there any
plan to make an option for DHCPv6?

With best regards
Martin Stiemerling

-- 
***************************************************
Martin Stiemerling 
NEC Europe Ltd.         Network Laboratories Europe
Fon: +49 6221 90511 13  Fax: +49 6221 90511 55

---

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:08:29 -0500

The DHC WG is looking of suggestions on "core" options for DHCPv6 (those that
are required to make the protocol work and useful).

We are also looking for which other options to define, probably in a companion
document to the DHCPv6 specification.

This option should certainly be considered. Likely it would be defined in the
companion document as it is not a "core" option required by most (if not all)
of the DHCPv6 clients.

The option would likely look as follows in DHCPv6:

     Code        Len      DNS name of SIP server
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+--
|    TBD    |     n     | s1  | s2  | s3  | s4  | s5  |  ...
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+--

- Bernie Volz

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 11:59 AM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: DHCP option for SIP server

Hello,

With best regards
Martin Stiemerling

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:29:51 +0200

"Henning G. Schulzrinne" wrote:
[...]
> No plan, but would be a good idea. Are you volunteering?

Yes, I do.

> --
> Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs