Subject: AW: [dhcwg] DHCP over ATM

From: Brandner Rudolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:41:04 +0100

Hi Jim,

there are standards based ways of doing multicasting over NBMAs and ATM in particular. Following some RFCs dealing with this issue to begin with:

2022 Support for Multicast over UNI 3.0/3.1 based ATM Networks. G.
     Armitage. November 1996. (Format: TXT=189219 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED
     STANDARD)
2121 Issues affecting MARS Cluster Size. G. Armitage. March 1997.
     (Format: TXT=26781 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)
2149 Multicast Server Architectures for MARS-based ATM multicasting.
     R. Talpade, M. Ammar. May 1997. (Format: TXT=42007 bytes) (Status:
     INFORMATIONAL)
2269 Using the MARS Model in non-ATM NBMA Networks. G. Armitage.
     January 1998. (Format: TXT=12094 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)
2443 A Distributed MARS Service Using SCSP. J. Luciani, A. Gallo.
     November 1998. (Format: TXT=41451 bytes) (Status: EXPERIMENTAL)
2602 ILMI-Based Server Discovery for MARS. M. Davison. June 1999.
     (Format: TXT=12031 bytes) (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)

But as always, this might not what you have asked for....

Rudi

  -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jim Rainville [mailto:[email-masked]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 5. März 2002 15:02
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [dhcwg] DHCP over ATM

Hi - 
 
I know DHCP was designed to work over a broadcast media but I need to do dynamic IP allocation over an ATM network. I have bought an off the shelf DHCP implementation that does not support this but the modifications should be fairly straight forward. My plan is to use a predefined vpi/vci for an end device to send its DHCP request. The DHCP server will know this is a DHCP request because of the vpi/vci it came in on. The server will also know how to route it back to the end device because it will know which physical interface it came in on. My question is this: Is there a standards defined vpi/vci to do this? Right now my company is making the end device as well as the server but we may have to work with third party vendors in the future so a standard vpi/vci would be nice.
 
Thanks.
Jim

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg