Subject: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-24: confirm vs. renew vs. rebind

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 11:13:07 -0400

>       CONFIRM (4)        A client sends a Confirm message to servers to
>                          request that the server validate and confirm
>                          that the addresses and current configuration
>                          parameters assigned by the server to the client
>                          are still valid.
> 
>       RENEW (5)          A client sends a Renew message to the server
>                          that originally provided the client's addresses
>                          and configuration addresses to update the
>                          addresses assigned to the client and the
>                          lifetimes for those addresses, as well as the
>                          current configuration parameters assigned by
>                          the server to the client.
> 
>       REBIND (6)         A client sends a Rebind message to update
>                          the addresses assigned to the client and the
>                          lifetimes for those addresses, as well as the
>                          current configuration parameters assigned by
>                          the server to the client; this message is sent
>                          after a client receives no response to a Renew
>                          message.
> 

The document still could do a better job of explaining what the
difference between these three messages is. Having read the document
carefully twice now, I still don't feel like I understand the
difference.

For the confirm, I gather that the only answer is "yes" or "no". If
so, it would also be good to say that and point out that this message
is used to decide whether a rebind/renew/request needs to be
done. (note: In a separate note, I have questions about the overall
utility of confirm.)

For rebind, is it different from renew in that it is sent to all dhc
servers, rather than just the one to which renew is sent? If so,
saying that in the overview would be helpful.

Thomas

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu<[email-masked]>
Date: 14 May 2002 22:48:35 +0200

> done. (note: In a separate note, I have questions about the overall

Hi, I'm not intending at all to fight over whether this particular
message is useful or not, especially since I was not involved in its
inclusion here.

Just wanted to mention a possible use that is to couple it with RIP
update messages within a small domain (what is small) to manage
mobility with host-based routes.  Within such a domain, access routers
are co-located with DHCP relays and the most central router is
co-located with the DHCP server.  The advantage of using confirm to
trigger the update is that the addition of the new route is triggered
from both ends of a path (from server and from relay), completing the
route supposedly faster.

Alex