Subject: [dhcwg] Obtaining DHCP lease information

From: Jeffrey Breukelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:57:49 -0400

Hello.

Forgive me if I'm sending this email to the wrong place - I've attempted to
find the right place.

I have a request to build an application that can, among other things,
retrieve DHCP lease information from a DHCP server.  That is, to remotely
query a DHCP server, and have it return a list of leases and lease times.  I
have been able to find no way to do this.  Can anyone tell me if this is
possible?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Breukelman
Sr Network Consultant
NTG Clarity Networks
(647)287-3267(cell)

---

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:42:17 -0500

There isn't a mechanism to do this available in DHCP servers. However, there is hope in the future. Check out http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-03.txt.

For now, it may be server dependent. For example, with the ISC DHCP Server (www.isc.org), you could scan the lease file.

- Bernie Volz

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Breukelman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 4:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Obtaining DHCP lease information

Hello. 
Forgive me if I'm sending this email to the wrong place - I've attempted to find the right place. 
I have a request to build an application that can, among other things, retrieve DHCP lease information from a DHCP server.  That is, to remotely query a DHCP server, and have it return a list of leases and lease times.  I have been able to find no way to do this.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible?
Thanks for your help. 

Jeff Breukelman 
Sr Network Consultant 
NTG Clarity Networks 
(647)287-3267(cell)

---

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:28:44 -0700

A list of leases?  I'm not aware of any draft or RFC that covers that.
There is a draft which given an IP address, you can query the DHCP server
for information on that lease, but that would depend upon the DHCP server
implementing that functionality.

As I look at it again, you will be able to query by IP Address, MAC address,
or Client-identifier.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-03.txt

Now, if your particular application only ever needs to query a particular
vendor's DHCP server, you would have to contact that vendor to see if they
have some proprietary extensions to the protocol, or other APIs that you
could use to get the list of leases.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Breukelman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 1:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Obtaining DHCP lease information

Hello. 

Jeff Breukelman 
Sr Network Consultant 
NTG Clarity Networks 
(647)287-3267(cell)