Subject: [dhcwg] Items of the new wg charter

From: "BINET David FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:12:38 +0200

Hi,

There were some internet drafts dealing with the deployment of DHCP protocol in new envrironments, such as roaming/mobile clients and xdsl access. These drafts were, as far as I know, draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt, draft-ietf-dhc-enhance-requirements-00.txt, draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-requirements-00.txt. All these drafts have expired and it seems that there is no such working item in the next charter of the working group, discussed during the last meeting in Yokohama.

Does it mean that the working group considers that it is not an important item even if some ISPs consider DHCP protocol (+ improvements) as an alternative or a complement to PPP for their services ? Or does this work is handled by another working group ?

David Binet

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "BINET David FTRD/DMI/CAE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:48:54 +0200

Hi,

The topic "new environments where DHCP can be deployed" has to be
discussed in a wg at the IETF.
I do not know if it should be discussed in PANA, DHCP or other working
group. When I read the PANA wg charter, I do not see any relationship
between PANA activities and DHCP activities except that PANA protocol
must not interfere with DHCP. Moreover, I believe that PANA working
group asserts that host must have an IP address before using PANA
protocol (please, tell me if I am wrong).
In some contexts, for example xDSL access, I do not think that DHCP
clients will have an IP address before connecting but there is a strong
need for authentication before the client will receive configuration
parameters from the server. 
Even if PANA working group deals with this issue, DHCP working group has
to take this need into consideration in order to make the new PANA
protocol compliant with DHCP protocol.

David

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:48:54 -0400

>discussed in a wg at the IETF.

This seems appropriate to include in the Charter discussion.
My view is just a little different: the DHC WG need not go looking 
for new environments for DHCP, but any new technology that expects
to become Internet-Standard should consider using it as part of the
normal environment.

>protocol (please, tell me if I am wrong).

You are not wrong. The scope for PANA is authentication after IP
access is established. There are other mechanisms, such as EAP, that
operate over layer-2 prior to dynamic configuration of hosts (IP addr).
The EAP WG is revising its definition to cover much more than PPP.

>protocol compliant with DHCP protocol.

This really should work the other way, the DHC WG is not supposed to 
enforce compliance (or even compatibility - which is what I suspect you
intended) of new protocols with its specifications. New protocols should
avoid breaking operations that use standards-track protocols like DHCP.

Some degree of coordination between layer-2 authentication (prior to 
IP address assignment) and DHCP is provided by mechanisms like the relay
of RADIUS attributes from layer-2 authenticators into DHCP.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agentopt-radius-00.txt

The DHC WG has been receptive to proposals for specific forms of coordination, as indicated by its adoption of this effort. It is reasonable to expect that it would be as receptive to specific proposals for any "new environments where DHCP can be deployed".

John