Subject: RE: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> - Clas sfull ?

From: Van Aken Dirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:16:06 +0200

Hi Ted,

As you as you mentioned in the reply, it is indeed exactly the same problem
as with giaddr.

But why can this problem not be solved ? After all, the overloading of
giaddr (communication with the relay agent and address pool selection) was
defined 17 years ago (RFC951-1985). All networks were classfull at that time
but today almost all IP systems can operate in a classless environment..

As it is a totally new DHCP Relay Information Sub-Option, one can easily
define two fields: IP address and IP mask or IP address and Prefix length.

One could eventually reuse the syntax of <draft-ietf-dhc-csr-07.txt> - The
Classless Static Route Option for DHCPv4.

Best regards - Dirk

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday 8 October 2002 11:32
To: Van Aken Dirk
Cc: [email-masked]'; Dedecker Hans; Dekeyser Miek
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> -
Classfull ?

> I wonder though how the DHCP server can derive a subnet from a single
> quantity being an IP address. e.g. 20.0.0.0 can be an alias for 
> 20.0.0.0/8
> or 20.0.0.0/29.
> So my guess is that the only way the DHCP server can derive the subnet 
> form
> is based on the leading bits of the address being either class A, B or 
> C.

The DHCP server is configured with a list of subnets.   It has to be, 
to make address assignment decisions.

This is exactly the same problem that you have if you use giaddr for 
subnet selection.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:59:10 -0500

There is no need to do this. What's the benefit?

You'd have to configure the relay agent with more information than it currently
needs. (While in many cases the relay is probably a router and has this
information, why is it needed?) The server can figure out the subnet without
the prefix because the server needs both the address and subnet mask length for
all of the subnets (at least those it will be allocating addresses on).

Also, what happens if the server and relay agent disagree on the subnet mask
length? Suppose you wrongly configured the relay to send 20.0.0.0/23 and the
server is configured with 20.0.0.0/24?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Van Aken Dirk [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 3:16 AM
To: 'Ted Lemon'
Cc: [email-masked]'; Dedecker Hans; Dekeyser Miek;
[email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> -
Clas sfull ?

Hi Ted,

Best regards - Dirk

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday 8 October 2002 11:32
To: Van Aken Dirk
Cc: [email-masked]'; Dedecker Hans; Dekeyser Miek
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> -
Classfull ?

---

From: Van Aken Dirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:31:37 +0200

If a relay agent supplies a masked IP address only, the scenario only works
fine provided the server does "longest prefix matching" on its available
pools.
If the server does not start with the pool having the smallest mask,
situations where VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Mask) is applied will not
converge no ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernie Volz (EUD) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday 10 October 2002 2:59
To: Van Aken Dirk; 'Ted Lemon'
Cc: [email-masked]'; Dedecker Hans; Dekeyser Miek; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> - Clas
sfull ?

You'd have to configure the relay agent with more information than it
currently 
needs. (While in many cases the relay is probably a router and has this 
information, why is it needed?) The server can figure out the subnet without

the prefix because the server needs both the address and subnet mask length
for 
all of the subnets (at least those it will be allocating addresses on). 

- Bernie 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Van Aken Dirk [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 3:16 AM 
To: 'Ted Lemon' 
Cc: [email-masked]'; Dedecker Hans; Dekeyser Miek; 
[email-masked]' 
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> - 
Clas sfull ? 

Hi Ted, 

Best regards - Dirk 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Ted Lemon [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Tuesday 8 October 2002 11:32 
To: Van Aken Dirk 
Cc: [email-masked]'; Dedecker Hans; Dekeyser Miek 
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt> - 
Classfull ? 

_______________________________________________ 
dhcwg mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>  
_______________________________________________ 
dhcwg mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>