Subject: [dhcwg] Two companion IDs for consideration

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:44:27 -0500

All

A few of us have written two companion Drafts for consideration into 2 WGs
(GEOPRIV and DHC). 

The first ID (into the DHC WG) is at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-dhcp-geo-loc-option-00.txt
and defines a Location Object format that satisfies (we hope) the basic
required elements to represent  a Target as well as the requirement for
granular resolution. This ID in no way affects the GEOPRIV Protocol and
it's goal for security or user control (ie rules for actively responding to
a Location request). It provides a mechanism for getting the location
information to an (wired) IP device which can then use the eventual GEOPRIV
Protocol as that WG specifies. There are no semantics written into the DHC
ID, and leaves some questions as to why the authors made certain choices.
Hence the reason for the second ID.

The second ID (into the GEOPRIV WG) is the semantics ID for the DHC ID.
It's at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-geopriv-loc-object-semantics-
00.txt
and shows (with many examples) why the meaning of "resolution" is better
suited to meet the requirement of granular (im)precision than "accuracy".
The examples of how the location Target device can simply alter the
resolution presented to a location request from within 3.11mm x 2.62mm to
as much as 1/6th that of the earth. Neither ID talks about the
circumstances of these choices - the authors believe this normative text
should reside elsewhere in GEOPRIV efforts with whatever rules that WG
places on its Protocol efforts and output.

Questions and comments have already been raised on the IEPREP WG list in
the Transport Area, so this combined effort looks like it will have
multiple lists with comments on them regarding these two IDs.

Comments are encouraged

cheers,
James 

              *************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than 
                         they are willing to allow for others"

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg