Subject: [dhcwg] Clarification on RFC 2131 and RFC 3046

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:05:52 -0800

Regarding the use of the Client Identifier option to identify a specific
device:

RFC 2131, Section 4.2 suggests that a DHCP server should use the Client
Identifier supplied by the client device where possible, and to effectively
synthesize one from the client's chaddr if the client does not supply one.
(Actually, section 4.2 insists that a server uses the Client Identifier, if
supplied).

RFC 3046, Section 4.0 seems to downplay the use of the Client Identifier and
encourages the combination of RemoteID and CHADDR to distinguish a device.
If the use of a Client Identifier is discouraged, how would a device acquire
multiple IP addresses from the DHCP server, since the server is encouraged
to only use the RemoteID and CHADDR?  (Perhaps we're talking about a set-top
box that can do VoIP, and digital video.  The device may want an IP for
Voice, and a second IP for video, but only has 1 MAC address...?)

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:28:36 -0600

Remote-id identifies the relay agent, not the DHCP client.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg