Subject: [dhcwg] Prep for WG meeting, 3/17

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:51:21 -0500

I've published the most recent agenda to the WG mailing list; it's also 
available at http://www.dhcp.org/0303-agenda.txt

Please review the new WG charter, 
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dhc-charter.html (also included below), 
before the WG meeting on Monday.  We need to add milestones for current WG 
work items, which we'll discuss at the WG meeting.  Also, please review the 
agenda and any applicable Internet-Drafts for discussion at the WG meeting.

- Ralph

=====

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
--------------------------------

  Charter
  Last Modified: 2003-02-16

  Current Status: Active Working Group

  Chair(s):
      R. Droms  <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Director(s):
      Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>
      E. Nordmark  <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Advisor:
      Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>

  Mailing Lists:
      General Discussion:[email-masked]
      To Subscribe:      http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
      Archive:           http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

Description of Working Group

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard".  The
base protocol is documented in RFC2131 and RFC2132 (DHCP for IPv4) and
RFCxxxx (DHCP for IPv6).  Additional options are documented in
subsequent RFCs.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing (and sometimes developing)
DHCP options or other extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG
is expected to review all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that
they are consistent with the DHCP specification and other option
formats, that they do not duplicate existing mechanisms, etc.  The DHC
WG will not (generally) be responsible for evaluating the semantic
content of proposed options. The DHC WG will not adopt new proposals
for extensions to DHCP as working group documents without first
coordinating with other relevant working groups and determining who
has the responsibility for reviewing the semantic content of an
option.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* The DHC WG will address security in DHCP

   o Develop and document security requirements for DHCP.  RFC 3118
     defines current security mechanisms for DHCPv4.  Unfortunately,
     RFC 3118 has neither been implemented nor deployed to date.
     Specific issues to be considered include:

     - Improved key management and scalability
     - Security for messages passed between relay agents and servers
     - Threats of DoS attacks through FORCERENEW
     - The increased usage of DHC on unsecured (e.g., wireless) and
       public LANs
     - The need for clients to be able to authenticate servers, without
       simultaneously requiring client authentication by the server.

   o Develop and document a roadmap of any new documents or protocols
     needed to meet the security requirements for DHCP

* Write an analysis of the DHCP specification, including RFC2131,
   RFC2132 and other RFCs defining additional options, which identifies
   ambiguities, contradictory specifications and other obstacles to
   development of interoperable implementations.  Recommend a process
   for resolving identified problems and incorporating the resolutions
   into the DHCP specification.

* Complete or abandon work on DHCPv6 options that are currently work
   in progress:

     IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt>
     DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
     Load Balancing for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
     NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
     Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
     Client Preferred Prefix option for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-cliprefprefix-00.txt>
     A Guide to Implementing Stateless DHCPv6 Service
       <draft-droms-dhcpv6-stateless-guide-00.txt>
     DSTM Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dstm-01.txt>
     DSTM Ports Option for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dstm-ports-01.txt>

* Complete or abandon work on DHCP extensions and options that are
   currently work in progress:

     Failover protocol
       <draft-ietf-dhc-failover-11.txt>
     The DHCP Client FQDN Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-04.txt>
     Resolution of DNS Name Conflicts Among DHCP Clients
       <draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-04.txt>
     DHCP Server MIB
       <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt>
     Considerations for the use of the Host Name option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-host-option-considerations-01.txt>
     DHCP Lease Query
       <draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-04.txt>
     DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service
       <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
     Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server MIB
       <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt>
     DHCP Option for Mobile IP Mobility Agents
       <draft-ietf-dhc-mipadvert-opt-00.txt>
     DHCP VPN Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-02.txt>
     KDC Server Address Sub-option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-suboptions-kdc-serveraddress-00.txt>
     The Authentication Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-auth-suboption-00.txt>
     Link Selection sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt>
     VPN Identifier sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id-02.txt>
     RADIUS Attributes Sub-option for the DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-agentopt-radius-02.txt>
     DHCP Subscriber ID Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-00.txt>

Done    Resubmit draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-28.txt to IESG
Done    Identify DHCPv4 authentication design team
Done    Identify DHCPv4 specification review design team
Done	Identify DHCPv4 relay agent message authentication design team
Done    WG Last Call on "DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service"
           <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
Done    WG Last Call on "DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6"
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
Done    WG Last Call on "NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6"
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
Done    WG Last Call on "Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6"
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
Done    WG Last Call on "IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6"
           <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt>
Done    WG Last Call on "Load Balancing for DHCPv6"
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
2003-02 Submit "DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service" to IESG
           <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
2003-02 Submit "DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6" to IESG
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
2003-02 Submit "NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6" to IESG
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
2003-02 Submit "Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6" to IESG
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
2003-03 Submit "IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6" to IESG
           <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt>
2003-03 Submit "Load Balancing for DHCPv6" to IESG
           <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
2003-06 DHCPv4 authentication design team report completed
2003-06 DHCPv4 specification review report completed
2003-06	Select DHCPv4 relay agent message authentication mechanism

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg