Subject: RE: [dhcwg] draft-chown-dhc-dual-stack-00

From: Changming Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:18:17 -0800

>That's very helpful information.   It would be wonderful if you could 
>write a more detailed description of the problems you've run into and 
>the ways you've solved them.   One of the problems we have right now is 
>that most people in the working group do not have any operational 
>experience with this.

Changming: It is a very simple solution: when enabling a DHCP client on an
interface, allow the end user to define a preference value from 0 to 255 and
default to 128. This also works well with multiple instances of PPPoE
clients on the same device (which we also support). In Japan, it seems very
commom to have a CPE dual homed running two instance of PPPoE, one is
primary and another is backup. The primary one will be given high
preference. Note that in case of PPPoE, the PPP will also get DNS info, same
as DHCP.

So this solution works even in a mixed environment such as PPPoE and DHCP
running at the same time, which may not be real, just want to show its
flexibility.

Thanks!

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:35:26 +0900

On Mar 3, 2004, at 5:18 PM, Changming Liu wrote:
> It is a very simple solution: when enabling a DHCP client on an
> default to 128.

So this is done on the client?   Is preference assigned to different 
classes of DHCP server (e.g., v4 vs. v6) or different server 
identification information, or what?   I can envision a table on the 
client that contains a list of server ids and preferences, although 
this seems not so helpful in the sense that the client now has to be 
configured before it can use the network.