Subject: Implementing support for relay agent options

From: "Bud Millwood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:06:06 +0100

I have added support to my DHCP server for option 82, Relay Agent Info, but
I have some questions:

To help my server limit the number of addresses I lease to a given customer,
the CMTS will tag all DHCP DISCOVERs with a Circuit and/or Remote ID. This
means that both the CM-originated DISCOVERs and CPE-originated DISCOVERs
(from behind that same CM) will all have the same Remote ID. If this is the
case, I simply limit the number of active leases per RID. Is this correct?

Is there any reason to implement lease limitations per Circuit ID? I don't
see that there is because there may be many CMs per circuit. I do provide
Circuit ID in lease logs, but I am not using it for address limitation. I
understand that an administrator may want to assign certain DHCP options
based on a CID, but that's another story.

Have I got this right?

Bud Millwood
Weird Solutions, Inc.
http://www.weird-solutions.com
tel: +46 70 566 7803
fax: +46 8 758 3687
mailto:[email-masked]