Subject: Control of DHCPv6 operational parameters

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 18:04:22 -0500

From the minutes of the San Diego meeting:

* Thomas Narten raised issue of server control of DHCP operational
   parameters (retransmit times, delays, etc.).  These parameters are
   likely to be stale when a client moves to a new link, before the
   client receives an update from the local server.  How should client
   react - revert to defaults on a new link?  If so, how are these
   parameters useful, especially in highly mobile environments.  More
   discussion required on mailing list.

So, here's the start of the discussion:
* Is it worthwhile to allow a DHCP server to control
   those parameters in a client?
* How should a client react when rebooting because of
   power cycle or loss of link - revert to default
   parameters, use last known parameters, ???
* What should a client use as default values for all
   of the control parameters?

- Ralph

---

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 18:16:17 -0500

Ralph, et al:

I'd like to suggest that we have the client use its own values for all of
these parameters for now (either 'default' values specified in the draft or
values configured on the client through some client specific method that
override the 'defaults'). It is just simpler and should reduce the
discussions. There's already plenty to resolve in getting this specification
out and it would be nice to eliminate this for now.

The one problem with defining this in the future is that clients may not use
the parameters from a server. HOWEVER, I don't think that should be a major
issue since a client will NEVER use a server's values until after it has at
least communicated with the server. And, client policy might prohibit use of
certain values (at least if they are outside of a specified range).

The issue of the default values still exists. Perhaps with the next draft
revision we will have a list of the parameters and can discuss their values
in the conference call (2/15?).

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 6:04 PM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: Control of DHCPv6 operational parameters

- Ralph

---

From: "Thirumalesh Bhat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:21:53 -0800

I think the client should have a set of default parameters to
start with that can be overridden from a server. If the client is not
sure of what parameter to use, it should use the default parameters.
Using last known good may not work in all the scenarios.

	It is not clear if one set of default values will suffice for
all the scenarios. Is it advisable to let the implementation choose the
defaults that can be overridden by the server?

thx

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:04 PM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: Control of DHCPv6 operational parameters

- Ralph