Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt

From: George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:36:39 -0500

Henry,

Let me agree with you entirely! So, PPP provided us with a mechanism to
trigger AAA at the Access Router....in the absence of PPP we need some
alternative.

Note! We only need a signalling protocol over the access link...AAA covers
very comprehensively how the Access Router (or in fact its AAA client)
communicates with the AAA server to provide the Access Router with the
correct policy/configuration/firewall for the MN.

Thanks
George
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 8:38 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Comments on draft-ietf-dhc-aaa-ra-00.txt

Hi all,

> > Can some one point out why existing protocols such as 
> Radius/COPS (with some
> > modification) can not do the same. OR. What else is being 
> solved by BURP?

(Or Diameter as Pat pointed out.)

The reason why an AAA protocol such as Diameter or Radius
cannot be used is that they are not designed to be
used by visiting hosts but by an attendant on the visited network. 
The attendant is the device that visiting hosts contact in order to get 
access to the network. The attendant is typically a Diameter (or 
Radius) _client_ and it speaks Diameter with the AAA network.

BURP is expected to be a network access authorization protocol 
between the visiting host and the attendant when PPP or 
Mobile IP cannot be used.

Regards,
Henry

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:16:36 -0800 (PST)

> trigger AAA at the Access Router....in the absence of PPP we need some

George,

Presumbly the protocol should work when there are multiple access routers
on the link. I don't see why we need to cripple e.g. an Ethernet to
only have one router; allowing multiple provides more efficient routing
but more importantly some redundancy.

  Erik