Subject: DHCP in routed network

From: Codding Deb A Contr 78 CS/SCBX <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:23:16 -0000

Hi!

We are new to the DHCP environment and are trying to get it to run
correctly.  We have one DHCP server (using QIP DHCP server).  The server is
behind a router.  Our basic network design has approximately 8 segments,
with 6-8 subnets within each segment.  In our testing we have set up an MS
DHCP Relay Agent on the client side of the router.  We are using manual DHCP
tied to the MAC address.  We have set the Relay Agent with virtual IPs for
all of the subnets on the client side of the router.  

The problem we are encountering is that the Relay Agent makes the request
based on its own IP, and therefore IPs are not getting assigned for any
client that is not within the agent's subnet.  Since we have 6-8 subnets on
the client side, we need the server to assign the IP based on the subnet of
the client, not the Relay Agent.  We've searched the RFCs on this issue and
it is pretty vague about configuring the Relay Agent to request the correct
subnet, and we have not found anything on the MS Relay Agent that even
allows us to specify the subnet we want based on the client making the
discover request.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get the Relay Agent to let
the DHCP server know which subnet it should assign from?

Thanks,

Deb Codding
Systems Engineer
Robins AFB, Georgia
[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:29:29 -0000

If you have a router installed then you should use the relay agent on the
router, not a seperate NT box. If it's a Cisco router, use the ip-helper
command to configure it.

Regards,

Paul Roberts
Professional Services

+---------------------------------------------+
|      Paul Roberts, Intranet Solutions,      |
|  Tel: +44 1252 849008 Fax: +44 1252 849097  |
| E-mail: [email-masked] |
|   WWW: http://www.intranet-solutions.com    |
+---------------------------------------------+

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Codding Deb A Contr 78 CS/SCBX
> Sent: 16 March 2001 14:23
> To: DHCPv4 discussion list
> Subject: DHCP in routed network
>
>
> Hi!
>