Subject: moving DHCP servers

From: "David Stringer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:48:13 +0100

Hi,

  I am trying to migrate my dhcp server to another machine but the  clients
seem to 'stick' to the same dhcp server, even though I have tried several
variations of renewing the liscenses.

I am obviously missing a key point but cannot find how to get around the
problem in the FAQ or other docs

Please, a quick pointer in the right direction would be lovely

Cheers..
Dave

_____________________________________________________________________
This message has been checked for all known viruses by the 
MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. For further information visit
http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:08:47 -0500

From: "David Stringer" <[email-masked]>

The clients return to the original server to get their leases renewed
(since that can be done without broadcasts).  I *think* that that is
specified behavior, though I'm not sure.  Only after failing to get a
renewal from the original server will the client broadcast to find a
new server.

It seems like the solution is to turn off the old server to force the
clients to find the new one.

Dale
-- 
Dale R. WORLEY    Project Manager - UPnP        <[email-masked]>
Virata Corp.	  Applications Infrastructure   http://emweb.com