Subject: [dhcwg] AD Review: draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-02.txt

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:34:55 -0400

Hi All,

I've reviewed draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-02.txt, and I
have several comments on the document which are attached below.

Some of these comments are editorial, but I also have a few
fundamental questions that should be addressed by the WG before
we send this document to the full IESG:

    1) Given that we are in the process of deprecating the
       option codes for the equivalent IPv4 options, do we
       have a strong reason to believe that these options
       are needed for IPv6?  Why?  Has anyone implemented
       them?

    2) The applications area has not yet specified how NTP
       would run over IPv6.  Does that make it premature
       to define a DHCPv6 option to configure NTP server
       addresses?

    3) Why is it necessary or desirable to specify a
       format for timezone naming that is specific to
       this document, instead of relying completely
       on an existing standard?

I am not sure that it makes sense to address any of my other
comments, unless we can come up with a satisfactory answer
to my first question, above.

Margaret